Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Re: Post a picture you took in the last week.

Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:46 am

Nershi wrote:[quote="Drunk_Dynasty"]I see smooth soft shell turtles a lot. Seen a a blandings last summer. Never seen the wood turtles or the map turtles or a spiny soft shell. Smooth soft shells turtles are hell catfish rigs. Seems like circle hooks do a better job not hooking them at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Must be a southern thing. Never seen or even heard of someone seeing one up north.[/quote]

I think it probably is. I usually see them in sandy spots and any lake I’ve seen them in has a not too far connection off the Mississippi or the Crow.

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:25 pm

Used to see soft shell turtles down by Spicer but don’t spend much time there anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:38 pm

Seen em on Green my whole life, not recently tho cause I haven’t been shootin carp the in recent years.

bigdog
Coot Commander

Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:10 pm

A couple restaurants around town used to have turtle one day/week. I had it once, was served like a plate of pulled pork. Very tasty.

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:00 am

Nershi wrote:
Drunk_Dynasty wrote:I see smooth soft shell turtles a lot. Seen a a blandings last summer. Never seen the wood turtles or the map turtles or a spiny soft shell. Smooth soft shells turtles are hell catfish rigs. Seems like circle hooks do a better job not hooking them at least.

Must be a southern thing. Never seen or even heard of someone seeing one up north.

Which one are you referring to? Softshells?

I've got video of the biggest one I've ever caught on the MS North of 200....luckily I hooked 'em in the paw and wasn't that hard getting close to the hook to cut the line. The shell was easily 18" end to end, basically circumference since softshells are so wide.

I've also caught them on the Red within ten miles of Canada.

I wish I was as lucky as you are to not encounter them. I think they're the most disgusting animal alive. They look like an alien's version of a dog or cat from some shithole swampy planet. Yet for some reason I've always had a hard time killing them....can't remember ever killing one....at least intentionally. There might be one or two that died after it took the hook and I I legitimately tried to cut the line or unhook it without killing it.

For whatever reason I've never had the same issue with snappers.

When going on our annual week long catfishing trip to the Red River with our relatives from Iowa we'd routinely ate snappers unfortunate enough to take our catfish bait. We always went on this trip in August. We'd take the turtle....get it to stick it's head back at camp, cut it's head off with a sharpened machete....we never cut one clean off, always had to finish it up with a knife once it was dead. Once the head was off we'd nail it's tail to a large tree and let it hang for a day and fully bleed out, sometimes we'd get back to camp tired the next day so it'd hang two days....in August heat and humidity, with flies and bees all over because of the blood, then we'd clean them which is as you could imagine a fukcing bitch. Everything about it sucks besides the meat. It made some bitchin' soup.

How we never get sick from handling and eating that shit is beyond me. They're about the most bacteria covered animal alive. I know cops or animal control when called on one stuck in a gutter trying to cross in the spring....they're instructed to never touch one with bare hands. I also remember them being really dangerous to kids handling them due to salmonella or something......
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Re: RE: Re: Post a picture you took in the last week.

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:45 pm

kwackkillncrew wrote:Dick move.

But I bet you don't have an issue in shooting a wolf, coyote, or other predator of big game. Hmmm...

Have you ever shot a fox or skunk or cat because they eat upland nesting birds?

Snappers eat ducklings - plain and simple, It's is NO different than you running over a raccoon or fox crossing the road because its a predator.

So some of you need to get off you fukcing high horses and look in the mirror 1st.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:41 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:[quote="kwackkillncrew"]Dick move.

But I bet you don't have an issue in shooting a wolf, coyote, or other predator of big game. Hmmm...

Have you ever shot a fox or skunk or cat because they eat upland nesting birds?

Snappers eat ducklings - plain and simple, It's is NO different than you running over a raccoon or fox crossing the road because its a predator.

So some of you need to get off you fukcing high horses and look in the mirror 1st.[/quote]

What a weak-azz clap back

cats are a non-native species so that’s an entirely different argument all together.

No, I don’t kill animals because they kill all the animals I wanna kill.

Who gives a chit if snappers eat ducklings. Literally everything does.

Stute Slap
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:51 am

I have pulled over and scooted turtles across the road. Not really sure why. Haven't done it in awhile. Also I will actually swerve to not hit a turtle.

But I trap and shoot coyotes/raccoons, etc. I just don't like them, could care less if they kill ducks.

People who get bent out of shape about cats killing birds are also typically beta males.....I am constantly amazed about the number of birds there are, sit outside for 5 minutes or walk around the block and pay attention to how many birds there are, it's unreal. They are everywhere.

Also the guys who say shit like "if I see a dog chasing a deer, I will f'ing shoot that sumbitch" you know they are also closet homos, like the guys who shoot cats for killing a bluejay.

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:56 am

I guess I just like slurpin’ big fat ones then cause cats are given no quarter round my way.

Stute Slap
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:02 pm

Drunk_Dynasty wrote:I guess I just like slurpin’ big fat ones then cause cats are given no quarter round my way.

Well you do fly fish so kinda figured that anyway. All good tho, no judgement here.

Nah just kidding. So do you kill cats to protect tweety birds?

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”