kwackkillncrew
Sour Toe Connoisseur

Re: Post a picture you took in the last week.

Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:14 am

h2ofwlr wrote:Need a tri-beam transducer and set it to the widest angle which is 20 degrees, mid is 12, the narrow one is 9 degrees.

From a Vexilar
cone degree 8 9 12 19 20
10' depth 1.4 1.6 2.2 3.4 3.5 diameters

Not sure why, but they quit making the tri beam, so you'd have to buy a used one - if you can find one.

so at 5' even at a 20 degree cone you would only be seeing 1.75 feet or so. Thanks for the info but the juice isnt worth the squeeze. were not fishing 10" pan fish up here. Half the time we are laker fishing they come in so fast that they dont even register on the flashers.
official sour toe member number 52,814

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:14 pm

Something isn't right. My guess is the ducer isn't the correct distance down the hole. You need about an inch of cord between the ducer and the bottom of the hole. It is tough when you have that much ice but you should be able to get it to mark you and the fish.

I fish walleyes with jigging raps in 4 feet of water and can see my jig and fish. If you really rip the jigging rap it will disappear for a second but you will mark it when it swings back in. I fish steelhead in 3 feet of water and can see my jig and fish.

Even if you can't see your jig all of the time I think knowing if there are fish around is very important information that can give you ideas to change baits, cadences, move to a new spot etc. Your cone may be small but your bait should be pulling fish close enough to mark them. I just thought it was strange to fish blind which is why I asked.

kwackkillncrew
Sour Toe Connoisseur

Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:05 pm

ya that could have been it. The biggest issue i have is when the ice is that thick is we normally rip the transducer out of the water because it doesnt take long for a big fish to wrap around the ducer cord and then your line breaks. The natives up there have no idea what they are and do fine with out them. I was telling the guy that i marked some fish on my flasher and had no idea what i ment. I use them all the time except for when we were up there because it seemed like a hassle other then to find out what the depth was. I am not sure if saltwater affects it differently or not either i wouldnt think so though.

no problem about the question. I tried for a while to try to get it to work but with the 30 mph winds and what not i kind of gave up on fishing with it. maybe next time when we go mid april it will be nicer out and i can Fc** with it a little more.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:27 pm

Makes sense. Those conditions make everything more challenging.

Have the natives adopted power auger technology or are they still using hand methods?

I’ve always been amazed how people used to drill holes with the old methods. I know some crazy Russians are still doing it. That’s dedication. It’s a pita with a power auger.

kwackkillncrew
Sour Toe Connoisseur

Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:47 pm

they all got augers from what i saw. I got in with a guy up there and it cost us 250 a person a day and that included snowmachines, lodging, and all the ice fishing gear. We brought our own rods and lures but he had extras as well. It was a killer deal and we hope to do it again. I couldnt imagine using a dig bar or something like that to go through the ice. I bet they use chain saws to cut open holes as well. The cool thing was since it was salt water you could use the same holes the next day even when it was -30 wind chill since the holes would fill up with snow and with the lower freeze point of ocean water it would not freeze.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:57 pm

Not too many people can say they have ice fished salt water. Pretty cool.

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:41 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:59 pm

^^^Cool pic

My sentiment echo Nershi's in regards to ice fishing saltwater Kwak...pretty bad ace. $250 a day seems pretty reasonable for the amount of gear and how specialized what you're doing is. Does the saltwater fukc with the auger blades, rods, anything? It will eat through an aluminum boat in fairly short order from my understanding. Seems like it'd be kind of a pain in the ass having to run freshwater through all your gear every time you fished...referring to open saltwater since you're the first person I've ever heard of ice fishing it.

Here are a couple pics from some crappie cribs I sank....and one of the smallmouth I might have stocked.

Screenshot_20210410-193523_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210410-205524_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210410-205723_Gallery.jpg
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:09 pm

There's a drill in the pics in the previous post. Here's one of a saw. I try to clean some of my dad's old shitty tools out of the garage whenever I'm sinking some cribs. He likes to buy shit at estate sales.....saws with worn down teeth that are all straight in-line, cheap used drills that literally won't work on sinking or backing out a single screw. He thinks he's getting a deal buying them at a buck or two....my brothers and I have repeatedly told him he might as well just throw away that buck or two. Anyways.....putting them on cribs and sinking them helps keep the junk tools in the garage to a minimum.

Also, they usually hold a lot of fish. There'll be large schools in and around them in the summer....catch quite a few large sunfish and bass out of them in open water, crappies in the winter. I think maybe the camera spooked them. I also pulled a 26" walleye off them this past winter.

Screenshot_20210410-205331_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210410-210559_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210410-210718_Gallery.jpg
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:07 pm

Spring really is my least favorite season...

Screenshot_20210412-160552_Gallery.jpg
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”