Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Re: Post a picture you took in the last week.

Sat May 01, 2021 5:30 pm

Coho salmon fillet out of Superior for ya felon. This one was actually the least red of the bunch but had slimy hands so no other pics. Lost a big king and let a big brown go so no other fillet pics for color reference for now.

Probably done fishing until walleye opener. Gotta get some chit done around the house and yard before walleye and musky opener.

Superior bite is just heating up. Water finally warmed up enough. There are some nice kings getting caught this year. Biggest I’ve seen out of Superior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Sat May 01, 2021 11:48 pm

Damn, those look Waaaay different than the ones out of door county.

Nice work, thanks for sharing.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Sun May 02, 2021 1:29 am

How are you catching them?
Dominate The Skies.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Sun May 02, 2021 12:47 pm

Trolling with a mast. Lame, I know. Once we found the fish they were concentrated enough that we could have casted em. Could have put the livescope to work.

Saw a raft of bluebills and trolled in to them and that’s where the fish were. Bug hatch going on.

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Sun May 02, 2021 3:04 pm

Nershi wrote:Trolling with a mast. Lame, I know. Once we found the fish they were concentrated enough that we could have casted em. Could have put the livescope to work.

Saw a raft of bluebills and trolled in to them and that’s where the fish were. Bug hatch going on.

Why would that be lame? I think it's bad ass. I love trolling with boards, leadcore, all that jazz. I've never used downriggers minus the time my uncle paid for a bunch of us to do the Algoma guide thing.....so doesn't count since although we were fishing with downriggers I literally didn't learn a thing about using them. I know we were using them and that's the extent of what I learned about them.

The other thing I've been thinking about is setting up a couple masts for trolling. If you wouldn't mind telling what you're using and how....just a basic 101 to give a guy who's a complete novice when it comes to masts a better idea if it's something worth messing with.

Also, what lures are you using....spoons, streamers, dipsy divers, cranks? How deep are you fishing and where are the fish at in the column? Trolling speed?

My apologies if I'm crossing a line with something you want to keep under your hat....if that's the case no worries, just tell me so I'll quit asking. I can respect that if that's the case. When it comes to a lake like Mille Lacs I have no problem sharing info and telling people exactly what I'm doing. I won't blab about the name of a little lake I'm hammering the crappies on, but I'd have no problem telling pretty much everything else that I'm doing. Point being, I don't feel like I'm asking for anything top secret but different dudes consider different stuff top secret.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Mon May 03, 2021 6:31 am

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Mon May 03, 2021 5:19 pm

Nice mess of fish Quack!

Felon, a lot of guys look down on trolling vs casting, jigging, etc. which was the reason for that comment. I think mainly because trolling can be a bit mindless for certain things. There is actually a lot that goes in to it to be consistently successful on Superior.

I have no problem sharing info. I am the same as you, if it is a big lake sharing info is no big deal. Small water is a different story. Lake Superior is pretty big. I can give a quick 101 of the gear basics. Honestly you'd be best off fishing with someone before buying the gear. It will help you know what to get. My buddy recently got his boat set up for it and he said there is no way he could have got rigged up without going with me first. You are always welcome in my boat. I could have used your beer chucking skills last weekend for some jackoff who wanted to play chicken.

You need one trolling mast not a couple. A trolling masts is just a pole with a couple big spools on it. If you can aluminum weld they would be easy to make if you bought the spools. I would suggest making one to fit in your seat post on the bow of your boat. Otherwise you will need to buy a mounting bracket. They stopped making them to go in seat mounts because some people were injured and/or had damage to their boat from it coming lose. When I bought a new boat I just cut off the bottom of one of the butt seats and bolted it on to my mast pole. I run a ratchet strap from the mast to my eyelet on the bow for safety. Probably not needed but if the mast comes out it would not be good. The higher the mast is off the water the better. Mine is about 6 feet from the surface of the water which is about as low as you would want it. Run your big boards out about 80 feet or so and then run your lines out on the release clips to make your spread. I have ran up to 6 lines on a side but 3-4 is ideal. You can do more lines with longer board lines. You want your lines staggered to allow the fish to go behind the other ones when you get bit. I run 175 feet back on the furthest rod out the board and then do 25 less per line as you work your way in. Some guys like rod holder trees. I just run regular rod holders. The rod holders need to keep the rod tips pointed up. The furthest rod out the board line needs to be in the furthest rod holder up the bow to keep lines from tangling and then work your way back.

This time of year most of the fish are near the surface. You can fish up top until mid or late June and then the water warms up enough that the fish start to push down the water column. You can add snap weights once that happens but eventually you will need leadcore, copper core or down riggers by late July or August when the fish get real deep. If you follow the fish north you can fish them up top all year because the water is cooler up there. I run stick baits up top. I can give you more specifics on the exact baits and colors to run by pm. Send me a message if you are interested. Prefer not to have more guys pulling the same baits as me so I'll keep that part off the main board. The type of stick baits and colors do matter a lot out there. I have a lot of old baits that I used to run that will probably never see the water again because other baits will outfish them 5:1. Once you need to start to fishing deeper I mostly run spoons. I do not run flashers, dodgers and flies. They just don't work that well compared to on Michigan in my opinion/experience. I am not a fan of dipsys. Lots of guys use them and some times they get more action. They just piss me off so I rarely run em. Trolling speed is 2.5-3 for stick baits but it can vary a bit. Slower for spoons. You don't need anything special for rods and reels. Shimano TDR's that run $30 a piece paired with an Okuma Magda with a line counter will be fine. If you set up leadcore line you may want to go with a little nicer reel such as a okuma convector.

This is the basics on gear. There are lots of strategies as far as where, when, water temps, water color, slicks, hatches etc. but I do not have time to type all of that stuff out. If are really interested in getting set up we should just go fishing. Or if you want to keep internet anonymousisty I could recommend some guides that know their stuff.

Oh and one more thing I think you may be interested in....you can run 2 lines a person!!! And you can run 3 in Wisconsin!!

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Tue May 04, 2021 2:10 am

Excellent post. I'm not a salmon fisherman, or a troller...I had no idea about the setup you described.

And I agree...trolling may be boring, but to be good at it, there's a lot that goes into it.
Dominate The Skies.

kwackkillncrew
Sour Toe Connoisseur

Tue May 04, 2021 11:38 pm

Trolling isnt mindless. I trolled for 20 hours out of whittier before I finally hit a king. Granted the 20 hours was a few different trips waiting for shrimp pots to soak. Spend enough time gas and drinking beer and you will finally hit a fish.

Headed out this weekend to soak shrimp pots for 2 days and hopefully pick up a yellow eye or 2 and maybe waste some more gas trolling. Image

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
official sour toe member number 52,814

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Wed May 05, 2021 6:06 am

I love trolling. It’s just another fish puzzle to figure out.

Also, I’ve had enough luck with it that I dislike more sedentary approaches. I like covering ground to find fish.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”