Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Re: Post a picture you took in the last week.

Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:04 pm

Cool pics of the owl. I don’t think I’ve seen one of those before.

lickmyvowels
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:52 am

Went from this to that....at least the dink eyes and smallies were snapping and the hammer handles were spitting my raps out after they cut me off.
Dark, windy, booming and maybe a 1/4 at best. ImageImage

Sent from my moto g power (XT2041DL) using Tapatalk

lickmyvowels
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:48 pm

.Image

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:40 am

That's a bad ass falls. I used to live about a five minute bike ride from Minnehaha Falls = overrated. When I dated the chick from Gaylord, one i actually kind of miss, she introduced to Minneopa Falls. I think it was at peak the times I saw it but it was more impressive than Minnehaha imo.

Starting in the late 1800's up through 1930 the city of Minneapolis and it's residents were freaking obsessed with getting Minnehaha Falls to always have a consistent flow throughout the summer. There was some event the city got in the 1890's that was the first thing of any prestige and they thought it was going to put Minneapolis on the map. Something like a World's Fair at that time, but not the world's fair. It was in August and it was the first time a sitting president came to MN.....and the Falls were basically bone dry....the president (who's name escapes me right now) said to the STrib or the paper that preceeded it [paraphrasing], "How completely unimpressive," the Falls were and that was the start with the obsession to have Minnehaha creek provide a constant rate of flow. So they dug out and dredged most of a shallow cattail filled wetland down to over a 30' lake to create a water source, today known as "Lake Nokomis." The cattail slough that was 3' deep at most where there was pockets of water actually used to be bigger at over 300 acres. They filled in a hundred and dug out the other two hundred to make the lake......which was supposed to retain enough water to supply a constant rate to the Falls all summer.

It didn't work....nothing did. In over 40 years of trying the city and it's residents never came close to achieving their goal. One of the few old time man industrializing nature stories I've ever heard about that ended in failure. History is made up of success stories. We tend to pedestalize older generations for their almost otherworldly accomplishments at that time.....but very few of their colossal failures became a part of the written record of events for back then.

I think it's awesome they wanted to do it and failed....miserably. I think the Victorian era view of conservation was better than today's view. Back then they would have never dreamed of saving a piece of ground to let it just sit there and rot....to have something owned by the public go fallow in only a handful of years, and then rarely be tended to in order to keep it productive.

The Victorian view of conservation was that man wasn't meant to save nature....man was meant to improve upon nature.

They did some bad ass shit back then.

Charles Loring was the first director of the Minneapolis Park Board. That's why the city's central park was renamed after him. Loring park was originally Central Park....just like in NYC and other cosmopolitan cities....they all had a central park.

Loring didn't like the loud, aggressive, obnoxious, yet diminutive red [pine] squirrels that roamed the city and were nuisances to park goers......

.....so he brought in the gray squirrel through a collaboration with the state of Kansas.

Yes, the gray squirrel is an invasive species in MN that is here only as a result of the Minneapolis park board.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:44 am

Only fished from a little after 6pm to a little after 8pm. Didn't do that great but got 'er dialed in for tomorrow or Sunday...depending on which day my little bro from FL can go. I guaranteed him limits of nice walleyes and smallies....no dinks in the lineup.

Screenshot_20210612-024045_Gallery.jpg

'Cause if we were going for dinks....holy shit...I don't know how many of these I threw back....

Screenshot_20210612-024142_Gallery.jpg
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

lickmyvowels
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: Post a picture you took in the last week.

Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:16 am

Fish Felon wrote:That's a bad ass falls. I used to live about a five minute bike ride from Minnehaha Falls = overrated. When I dated the chick from Gaylord, one i actually kind of miss, she introduced to Minneopa Falls. I think it was at peak the times I saw it but it was more impressive than Minnehaha imo.

Starting in the late 1800's up through 1930 the city of Minneapolis and it's residents were freaking obsessed with getting Minnehaha Falls to always have a consistent flow throughout the summer. There was some event the city got in the 1890's that was the first thing of any prestige and they thought it was going to put Minneapolis on the map. Something like a World's Fair at that time, but not the world's fair. It was in August and it was the first time a sitting president came to MN.....and the Falls were basically bone dry....the president (who's name escapes me right now) said to the STrib or the paper that preceeded it [paraphrasing], "How completely unimpressive," the Falls were and that was the start with the obsession to have Minnehaha creek provide a constant rate of flow. So they dug out and dredged most of a shallow cattail filled wetland down to over a 30' lake to create a water source, today known as "Lake Nokomis." The cattail slough that was 3' deep at most where there was pockets of water actually used to be bigger at over 300 acres. They filled in a hundred and dug out the other two hundred to make the lake......which was supposed to retain enough water to supply a constant rate to the Falls all summer.

It didn't work....nothing did. In over 40 years of trying the city and it's residents never came close to achieving their goal. One of the few old time man industrializing nature stories I've ever heard about that ended in failure. History is made up of success stories. We tend to pedestalize older generations for their almost otherworldly accomplishments at that time.....but very few of their colossal failures became a part of the written record of events for back then.

I think it's awesome they wanted to do it and failed....miserably. I think the Victorian era view of conservation was better than today's view. Back then they would have never dreamed of saving a piece of ground to let it just sit there and rot....to have something owned by the public go fallow in only a handful of years, and then rarely be tended to in order to keep it productive.

The Victorian view of conservation was that man wasn't meant to save nature....man was meant to improve upon nature.

They did some bad ass shit back then.

Charles Loring was the first director of the Minneapolis Park Board. That's why the city's central park was renamed after him. Loring park was originally Central Park....just like in NYC and other cosmopolitan cities....they all had a central park.

Loring didn't like the loud, aggressive, obnoxious, yet diminutive red [pine] squirrels that roamed the city and were nuisances to park goers......

.....so he brought in the gray squirrel through a collaboration with the state of Kansas.

Yes, the gray squirrel is an invasive species in MN that is here only as a result of the Minneapolis park board.
Here in redwood we have 3 good falls in town, this one that was I was at yesterday is the smallest. There is one half azz falls also that was blasted for some reason and is more of a whitewater rapids now.

The one in my picture is the cause of the name of my town (Redwood Falls). Named for the red paint the natives painted the trees right there in that spot as a warning to stay out or there will be blood. You'd like the geography here with the granite cliffs and river gorge through town/park. One they start the dredging starts in July to make the lake as it was 30' max depth with a 20 foot ave this river will be a spot you'd want to fish. Smallies, eyes, pike, channels, flatheads and soon trout will making it better. Rapids and holes stacked on top of one another. Grew up wade fishing it and it's an all day trip.

kwackkillncrew
Sour Toe Connoisseur

Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:17 am

We are on the moose road kill list up here. Some one hits a moose they call who ever is on the list next if they dont answer they call the next people. Well yesterday we got a call from the wildlife troopers saying the seized 75 reds and 6 kings from some people the night before. Copper river fish reds go around 30 bucks a pound and kings go 65 a pound. I am assuming the guys didnt know you couldn't dip net yet because all the fish were filleted out perfectly and tails clipped (you have to clip the tails on dipnet fish) any way took us about 3 hours last night to chamber seal them all. Poaching life is great most of the time.but yo ass gunna get busted some time.
ImageImage

Thank you mr russian

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
official sour toe member number 52,814

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:39 pm

Some moonrise slime to start the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lickmyvowels
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: Post a picture you took in the last week.

Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:58 pm

Nershi wrote:Some moonrise slime to start the morning.

[img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210613/29c2053b63fe9061fd3b5de54133c8a1.jpg[/img]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mf'n moonrise gets them snapping everytime.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:03 pm

Moonrise and set (minors) used to be my favorite. Last few years we’ve had better action in majors for some reason. Majors didn’t line up good with the bite we were fishing this weekend.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”