Did the 3-day possession limit affect your season?

I never exceeded the 2 day limit.
35%
I exceeded the 2 day limit.
47%
What's a possession limit?
18%

Total votes: 17
Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Re: Poll - 3-Day Possession Limit?

Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:37 pm

Nershi wrote:
Trigger wrote:
Nershi wrote:I think most guys who can shoot a possession limit or more are responsible enough sportsman to make sure it gets eaten.

Sadly, in my experience this is completely false. The more ducks a guy shoots the more likely he is to ditch them. This is even more true with goose hunters and doubly true for snow goose guys.

That's sad to hear. I know a lot of guys who put up big numbers of geese who get pretty creative on how to use it all-jerky, brats, homeless shelters, etc.

Do you think removing the possession limit will allow the people who ditch birds to kill more? If they aren't shy about tossing a bag of game in a dumpster does a possession limit really do anything?

Most of the times I have found out about wasted game it has been the guys who hunts once or twice a year. They don't cook or don't know how to cook game and their wife won't so it ends up going to the trash. They don't get the invite again.

It is pretty sad, just look at how many people on here openly admit to hating the taste of waterfowl and yet they hunt them religiously. And yes I do know guys who shoot a ton that eat them all but those guys are far out numbered by the tossers. So no, removing the possession limit does nothing for these guys, to be honest I don't think very many people pay attention to the possession limit anyways, you have to do something pretty bad for the CO's to come search your freezer.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:29 pm

Trigger wrote:So no, removing the possession limit does nothing for these guys, to be honest I don't think very many people pay attention to the possession limit anyways, you have to do something pretty bad for the CO's to come search your freezer.

I know two different groups who have got freezer checks because they were reported by locals who saw them hunting or fishing a lot. The only evidence or reasoning the CO had for checking them was a report from a local who said they were out hunting ducks or ice fishing for over a week straight. They did not ask to see the warrant so they probably could have kept green jeans at the front door but it doesn't take something "pretty bad" to get on their radar.

Maybe they should scrap the possession limit and increase the fines for wasting game. If it all gets eaten what's it matter? Why force a guy to eat ducks like a mad man so he can keep hunting?

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:29 pm

Nershi wrote:
Trigger wrote:So no, removing the possession limit does nothing for these guys, to be honest I don't think very many people pay attention to the possession limit anyways, you have to do something pretty bad for the CO's to come search your freezer.

I know two different groups who have got freezer checks because they were reported by locals who saw them hunting or fishing a lot. The only evidence or reasoning the CO had for checking them was a report from a local who said they were out hunting ducks or ice fishing for over a week straight. They did not ask to see the warrant so they probably could have kept green jeans at the front door but it doesn't take something "pretty bad" to get on their radar.

Maybe they should scrap the possession limit and increase the fines for wasting game. If it all gets eaten what's it matter? Why force a guy to eat ducks like a mad man so he can keep hunting?

Huh, I guess its just luck of the draw. I don't know a single guy who has ever had it happen unless they were being questioned for poaching. One guy even got busted poaching deer at night and they never checked his freezer.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

THe CRiPPLeR
This Hen's For You

Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:49 pm

Im glad they changed it because I needed it this year. Had my whole families limit of goose in the freezer on several occasions. Used a full possession limit on Thanksgiving and still have more then one in the freezer.
AKA HenSlayer
If its brown its down, if it flies it..., well I cripple it

Secure huntings future, introduce someone new to the outdoors.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”