maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Re: Hunting 2024

Sun Sep 01, 2024 11:55 am

Good luck y'all. I can't get excited yet as I love summer more and more

My eyes been bothering me a lot have had a couple scary moments. I'm going in for cataract surgery consultation Sept 12 and I'm hoping the doctor can confirm that my bad eye dropping off more is messing with my brain/tiring out my "good" eye. They say the retina on the good eye.is good I've gone in twice this year after scary moments...so hopefully the cataract is tge cause as that's a relatively simple surgery

I hate to screw up hunting season but it's impacting me a lot so hoping I can squeeze it in in an in between time like mid October after opener or mid Nov after deer and before I like to get the dog out for pheasants

Dad's accountant died a couple weeks ago too and he controlled every aspect of my dad's life for him, banking paying bills etc my dad has zero idea how to do anything. So I'm taking all of that over for him or at least trying to. I'm not an accountant but I'm familiar with the software and basics of accounting so we'll see lol. Just getting passwords access etc figured out for everything has been a big enough chore. Once the taxes are done for 2023 should get lil easier as that Sept filing deadline is kinda the push currently

bigdog
Coot Commander

Mon Sep 02, 2024 2:03 pm

Heard 3-4 volleys yesterday and two this morning from my place. Less than normal but I have not seen as many geese around this year.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Tue Sep 03, 2024 12:18 pm

Kicked off 2024 big duck season on the kenai. Some guys camped overnight on our A and B spots. Went to our C spot and someone came in and started setting up 60 yards right in front of us. We were able to convince them that shooting at each other all morning wasn’t the best idea and they joined us. Reminded me of opening morning shenanigans back home. Had a fun shoot and got about half our birds.

A big grizzly was hanging out on the spot we hunted the afternoon before and we heard him in the slough in the morning when we pulled in. Added a bit of a pucker factor to the morning.

Ducks got pretty blasted out so the rest of the trip will likely be focused on filling the freezer with halibut and salmon to bring home.

Anybody shoot some teals or geese?

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Wed Sep 04, 2024 12:56 pm

Nershi wrote: Anybody shoot some teals or geese?

Youngest son and my little brother and his SIL and myself went out Sunday, Teal opener and my 65th Birthday, we shot 7 is all, didn't hunt real hard, just pass shot some between sloughs, group on the water shot quite a few the way it looked, my boy and I went Monday to a different spot and seen more birds but only ended with 2. Think we seen 3 small flocks of geese in the 2 hunts, goose numbers are not what they used to be for early season and was kinda disappointed in total duck numbers compared to last 3 years.......

The Dove hunters were banging away in the combined wheat fields in the area, seemed to be lot's of Doves buzzing around............
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Wed Sep 04, 2024 5:48 pm

Happy birthday!

Sounds fun nershi!

kwackkillncrew
Sour Toe Connoisseur

Re: RE: Re: Hunting 2024

Wed Sep 04, 2024 8:17 pm

Nershi wrote:Kicked off 2024 big duck season on the kenai. Some guys camped overnight on our A and B spots. Went to our C spot and someone came in and started setting up 60 yards right in front of us. We were able to convince them that shooting at each other all morning wasn’t the best idea and they joined us. Reminded me of opening morning shenanigans back home. Had a fun shoot and got about half our birds.

A big grizzly was hanging out on the spot we hunted the afternoon before and we heard him in the slough in the morning when we pulled in. Added a bit of a pucker factor to the morning.

Ducks got pretty blasted out so the rest of the trip will likely be focused on filling the freezer with halibut and salmon to bring home.

Anybody shoot some teals or geese?
That's awesome. I have only hunted the lower kenai in late october/november and killed many mergansers I mean like 30 to 50 birds in a few hours. Shot a few g eyes and missed a hen old squaw down there to. I heard you can get into some good late season mallard shoots down there.

Sent from my SM-S921U using Tapatalk
official sour toe member number 52,814

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Thu Sep 05, 2024 10:32 am

Save a salmon smolt, kill a merganser…or 50.

The kenai and kasilof can both be real good for mallards later on.

All the guides are saying this is the worst silver run they have seen. Picked a great year to come back to Alaska. Halibut and trout fishing is good though.

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Thu Sep 05, 2024 4:30 pm

maplelakeduckslayer wrote:Happy birthday!

Thanks.....just doesn't seem possible I'm 65, my Grandmother who lived to 101 always told me Life is Fast...enjoy it......
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Fri Sep 06, 2024 5:58 pm

Hopefully 65 found you in good health with many more years of hunting ahead!

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Fri Sep 13, 2024 8:21 am

9manfan wrote:
maplelakeduckslayer wrote:Happy birthday!

Thanks.....just doesn't seem possible I'm 65, my Grandmother who lived to 101 always told me Life is Fast...enjoy it......

It's weird looking in the mirror and wondering who the old person is looking back at you. I've gone gray to a significant degree the past year, year and a half. Looking aged....not terrible but not great. Face looks puffy more than I'd like it to.

I feel the same as I did when I was 25....not a day older.

Your grandma had great advice. Life is truly fast. The older I've gotten the more I've realized that we're not that different than fruit flies....we look at their life cycle of a day and a half as being extremely short.....a hundred years in the grand scheme of things relative to the Earth....relative to the universe?

A hundred years in that context isn't even close to as long as a day and a half seems to us.

Happy birthday by the way. For some reason 65 still seems pretty young.....never thought I'd be saying that but I feel old now too.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”