Would you hunt the teal season in Sept if offered in MN?

Yes, definately
55%
Yes likley I would go
13%
Maybe I'd hunt them
13%
No I'd pass
19%

Total votes: 31
Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Re: Would you hunt the teal season in Sept if offered in MN?

Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:23 pm

ducksmuggler wrote:I will say I run a YWD hunt and on an average have 30 kids..... but on that without help they can not hunt. I like the idea of YWD to get kids who have never or will never hunt without the help but more often than not they are kids that dads take them out later/ all season long.

I am for dropping YWD as long as MN dnr goes after adult recruitment.

By bringing the kids who won't go out all season long anyways you do YWD right, but I'm sure you are in the vast minority. I would love to see the percentage of kids who participate who would go out during the regular season anyways. I bet it's huge.

And what better way to recruit adult hunters than to give them a very good chance at a great hunt in what is probably going to be easy weather to hunt in?
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:26 pm

It would be fun to do it. Even more fun with a 20 or 28 gauge.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:27 pm

lumbertick wrote:You bet I'd hunt it....but I think it's a bad idea. Call me a hypocrite if it fits.

lt

Just curious... Why do you think it would be a bad idea?
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

Goldfish
Mergie Marauder

Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:39 pm

ducksmuggler wrote:I will say I run a YWD hunt and on an average have 30 kids..... but on that without help they can not hunt. I like the idea of YWD to get kids who have never or will never hunt without the help but more often than not they are kids that dads take them out later/ all season long.

I am for dropping YWD as long as MN dnr goes after adult recruitment.

If you are taking kids out that wouldn't otherwise get out, and you need/want help with that let me know.

I would probably hunt the teal season. Course I said I'd probably hunt the early early goose season last year and that didn't happen.

Sent from a phancy fone

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:29 pm

ducksmuggler wrote: That said ONLY 1 state out of all the states with teal season, can say they don't have miss ID'd kills.

That is not accurate. Only 1 state met the crteria of a less than a 25% attempt rate of non legal species in 1965. Mn was 50% and the average was 45% across the states.
FYI guys, attempt rate means that when we had a 50% rate, 50% of the non legal species birds were shot at. Back then it was a 4 a day limit, that means a LOT of non legal birds were shot at and killed.

I can see why the 1 mistake duck allowance to minimize wanton waste of the non legal species being shot.

Like I mentioned on another topic a few weeks nack, I saw LOTS of non legal ducks laying dead when heading back to the landing in '65. I have a serious concern about that as I think hunters today are worse at IDing ducks on the wing then 47 years ago. As such I think Mn should have a 4 day teal limit with 1 mistake allowed. If hunters can not be happy with that, well too bad.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:03 am

I probably wouldn't hunt, but not really sure. I don't really like the idea.

Plus, it would likely interfere with dove killing, and i'd much rather shoot those. Teal could be a backup plan.
Dominate The Skies.

Bill Gilbertson
Mergie Marauder

Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:09 am

I have mixed feelings on it. I don't understand how a person can be against YWD and think early teal is a good idea.
Personally, I am too busy with other stuff in September to participate. I've only done early goose once in spite of intending to do it.
I think they presented the data that mistake birds will be shot. I order not to criminalize these mistakes, they probably need to allow mistake birds. They should encourage hunters not to purposely take a mistake bird and put some teeth behind it. If a mistake bird is shot, it should be illegal to continue to hunt that day. A second mistake duck, on a different day and you should be done for the season.

dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:13 am

Now all you're suggesting is more dead birds on the water just two days later. Makes sense.

WALKER
Mergie Marauder

Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:43 am

I'm all for it. Give people a mistake duck & it should work.

Jesus Christ we raise all these teal in MN & then send them south without shooting many. What
a dumb plan that is.

For all the people worried about hunters misidentifying teal don't you think that is happening
now in the states with a teal season? The studies they are basing all this on happened back
50 years ago-outdated info.

Steve Cordts said the main reason we haven't had a early teal season is all political. Of
course the southern states don't want MN hunters shooting teal. My guess is they would
prefer we just raise the ducks & don't shoot any.

All that said I don't know if I would participate. Like Bullet I enjoy hunting doves in Sept. & unless
I found a big group of teal locally probably stay with hunting doves.

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:25 am

The "mistake duck" concept is pharce.

It's not like the mistake duck attempt average was 10-25%. It was 50% in MN, 45% in all states combined, and some of the southern states (where supposedly teal are the only species present) had a worse average than MN!

It's obvious hunters are unwilling or unable to shoot only teal. They are shooting at everything that comes by.

I see no reason to believe that the average duck hunter's ability or willingness to select by species has changed in the past 50 years.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”