Would you hunt the teal season in Sept if offered in MN?

Yes, definately
55%
Yes likley I would go
13%
Maybe I'd hunt them
13%
No I'd pass
19%

Total votes: 31
gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Re: Would you hunt the teal season in Sept if offered in MN?

Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:36 pm

lumbertick wrote:
Trigger wrote:Just curious... Why do you think it would be a bad idea?

I subscribe to the theory that while early seasons will give folks an oppportunity to possibly bag more birds on opener...it also drives birds out of the area and creates more problems later in the season. YWD, early goose on water, teal season...it's all the same to me. For most hunters opening day is the best day of the year in terms of birds bagged. Does it matter if it's in October or September as far as recruitment goes? Throw in the amount of other ducks that are gonna get stomped into the mud from mis-identification and I don't see the benefit? Minnesota is a state struggling to hold ducks and this just makes it worse.

lt

So do we have no birds after the split?

Did you people forget the first split? Two days on five off? Teal season would be no different except just for teal. I would be all for a two day teal season in mid Sept and the just start the duck season at the beginning of Oct with no other splits.

sent from your bedroom closet
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:46 pm

gimpfinger wrote:
lumbertick wrote:

I subscribe to the theory that while early seasons will give folks an oppportunity to possibly bag more birds on opener...it also drives birds out of the area and creates more problems later in the season. YWD, early goose on water, teal season...it's all the same to me. For most hunters opening day is the best day of the year in terms of birds bagged. Does it matter if it's in October or September as far as recruitment goes? Throw in the amount of other ducks that are gonna get stomped into the mud from mis-identification and I don't see the benefit? Minnesota is a state struggling to hold ducks and this just makes it worse.

lt

Did you people forget the first split? Two days on five off? Teal season would be no different except just for teal. I would be all for a two day teal season in mid Sept and the just start the duck season at the beginning of Oct with no other splits.

This would be ideal. The point of early openers with the splits we've had is to give minnesotans a better chance at the teal we raise before they migrate and to allow the season to run later into the year. So by having an early teal season we get that chance at them, then there is no need for the early openers anymore so we can go back to the Oct 1 opener and the late season tough guys who are scared of bugs will get what they want too. Its really the perfect solution.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:58 pm

Trigger wrote:
gimpfinger wrote:
lumbertick wrote:[quote="Trigger"]Just curious... Why do you think it would be a bad idea?

lt

This would be ideal. The point of early openers with the splits we've had is to give minnesotans a better chance at the teal we raise before they migrate and to allow the season to run later into the year. So by having an early teal season we get that chance at them, then there is no need for the early openers anymore so we can go back to the Oct 1 opener and the late season tough guys who are scared of bugs will get what they want too. Its really the perfect solution.[/quote]

I will add that the two weeks off in mid Oct is ghey as h*ll.

Hate hate hate hate hate hate

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:22 pm

How anyone could mistake a teal with anything else is beyond my understanding.

I'm all for it. Over water teal/goose would be awesome!

Swartzy
Mergie Marauder

Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:48 pm

I would hunt, but only as a third option. If I couldn't get a decent field locked up or geese or decent spot locked up for doves, then I'd go after teal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:48 pm

Trigger wrote:
Bullet21XD wrote:I probably wouldn't hunt, but not really sure. I don't really like the idea.

Plus, it would likely interfere with dove killing, and i'd much rather shoot those. Teal could be a backup plan.

Why don't you really like the idea?

Because the added pressure will virtually eliminate the typical "opener". I don't like over water goose hunting, or the cripplefest. I sure as F don't like the idea of a bunch of tards out teal shooting. It'd be the same as having a week if opening days prior to the actual opening day. I believe the effects would be drastic, opening weekend would be mediocre at best, and our typical early season lull would be twice as long.

I just really don't see the point in any special hunt, unless everyone can kill anything.
Dominate The Skies.

lumbertick
Mergie Marauder

Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:25 pm

Trigger wrote:
lumbertick wrote:

lt

So you really think that we hold birds from the beginning of the season to the end? If we open the season on Oct 1, we are a full two weeks past the peak BW Teal migration and we are still incredibly dependent on them for a successful opener statewide, do you think there is some way we can stop them from migrating? Why wouldn't we want a season to coincide with peak numbers of huntable birds in the state before they find the cities and refuges or migrate?

I would be all for not having a teal season if we did away with the failed YWD and all early goose over water. Even though we would still be dependent on a warm September for a good teal harvest on opener, atleast they wouldn't be pushed out of the state before duck hunters get a chance to hunt them. With a teal season they are finally finding a way to give back to the hardcore duck hunters who are almost always forgotten about by the DNR.

I am lost Trigger...are you arguing both sides of this argument? I realize that we don't hold the same birds all season...and i am not worried about just the teal being pushed during an early season...I think that it will effect all waterfowl...making the available birds by opener much more cagey....which is the same logic that I think you are making about YWD and early goose over h20???? Are you saying that somehow the ducks will respond differently just because it's teal season??? You might have to dumb it down for me :D

lt

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:42 pm

I'm saying the way things are set up now is flocking opener up, so our only chance to get a good early season hunt on teal is to open the season for a few days before the vast majority of them have already exited the state which they have the past several years before opener even happens (yes I know there are people who scout hard and find pockets of teal for opener, this has become the exception and no longer the rule). So if we no longer had early goose and no YWD the odds of strong teal numbers would go up drastically. But that's not going to happen so we might as well have a teal season bc the way things are set up now opener sucks anyways. Basically I'm in favor of a teal season because I would view that as duck opener with a split before regular opener (we have that now but no one is complaining) and because it gives every duck hunter in the state a chance at the birds before three weeks of early goose and YWD has a chance to screw the 80,000 of us left in the state.

If I were god I would have a 3 day season three weekends before the Saturday closest to October 1... We would hit local teal, a few early migrators, then have 3 weeks off and hope everyone retires from hunting geese over water and cancel YWD. The only birds migrating in late September are teal and a few wood ducks anyways so we wouldn't be missing much. We miss much more now with the splits where they are at.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:49 am

I can't believe any duck hunter would be against a teal season. These are extra days that don't count against our regular season allotment. I like to duck hunt, teal are ducks, a teal season would give me more days to hunt ducks.

Right now, in the midst of this brutal winter, sitting in a slough over labor day weekend catching some sun sounds like pretty much the best thing ever. I have a therma-cell so no bugs for me. They're $20, buy one if you don't have one.

The article in the Strib today by Dennis Anderson almost made me gag. It's time for the "old guard" to go away and step down. They act pious and noble because they advocate for hunters to shoot less ducks. Why is there so much emotion in MN over any liberalized regulation? This doesn't happen in other states. Guys look at the regs and go, "cool, I have more days to duck hunt this year," and then they go out and hunt. The "old guard" has to over analyze every little change and decipher whether or not it will lead to the end of waterfowl populations as we know it.

It's kind of like the August goose season. Personally it isn't my cup of tea. Am I going to pizz and moan about it and act like we shouldn't have that opportunity for other hunters? Heck no.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:23 am

Fish Felon wrote:I can't believe any duck hunter would be against a teal season. These are extra days that don't count against our regular season allotment. I like to duck hunt, teal are ducks, a teal season would give me more days to hunt ducks.

It's kind of like the August goose season. Personally it isn't my cup of tea. Am I going to pizz and moan about it and act like we shouldn't have that opportunity for other hunters? Heck no.

That is exactly why I wouldn't want a teal season. Bad enough you can hunt geese early season (Sept) over water, that many more people on water would screw shooting geese up royally, in my opinion. Then again, I'm not much of a duck hunter.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”