Would you hunt the teal season in Sept if offered in MN?

Yes, definately
55%
Yes likley I would go
13%
Maybe I'd hunt them
13%
No I'd pass
19%

Total votes: 31
Goldfish
Mergie Marauder

Re: Would you hunt the teal season in Sept if offered in MN?

Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:12 am

What is it going to screw up, if you are out there hunting? It'll screw it up before it "normally gets screwed up" in the regular season? Early goose and teal would coincide, so go shoot birds and quichyerbichin.

Sent from a phancy fone

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:45 am

Goldfish wrote:What is it going to screw up, if you are out there hunting? It'll screw it up before it "normally gets screwed up" in the regular season? Early goose and teal would coincide, so go shoot birds and quichyerbichin.

Sent from a phancy fone

Have you ever tried hunting a field that the geese that are using it get busted off their roost?

If you didn't notice, I lumped teal and early season hunting on water into the same boat.

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:37 pm

greatwhitehunter3! wrote:
Goldfish wrote:What is it going to screw up, if you are out there hunting? It'll screw it up before it "normally gets screwed up" in the regular season? Early goose and teal would coincide, so go shoot birds and quichyerbichin.

Sent from a phancy fone

Have you ever tried hunting a field that the geese that are using it get busted off their roost?

If you didn't notice, I lumped teal and early season hunting on water into the same boat.

Hunting geese that are roosting on bustable water.... Rookie mistake.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:54 pm

Trigger wrote:

Sent from a phancy fone

Hunting geese that are roosting on bustable water.... Rookie mistake.

When there are maybe 5 bodies of water in the entire county that hold huntable numbers of geese, it's easier said then done.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:03 pm

I'd hunt it but I'd rather see a set up like Iowa vs having teal only. 90% of hunters are morons and can't ID a bird once they have it in hand let alone on the wing. It seems a lot of hunters are either ignorant of the laws or choose not to follow them and I think there would be lots of tards out blasting at everything.

Ideally have 4-5 days open in early to mid sept for all species including geese over water. Shut it down and open again sometime around the 1st week of october. Geese only over fields for early season except the early season duck days.

Goldfish
Mergie Marauder

Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:49 pm

Sent from a phancy fone

I always forget that if you hunt a field that the birds are using, that those birds are yours and off limits to anyone else who wants to hunt...

Sent from a phancy fone

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:17 pm

Goldfish wrote:

Sent from a phancy fone

I always forget that if you hunt a field that the birds are using, that those birds are yours and off limits to anyone else who wants to hunt...

Sent from a phancy fone

Exactly. Cuz that's exactly what I said..

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:19 pm

You know, the more I think about all this (some very good points being made by a number of you) the more I'd like to just see an earlier opener. Meaning do a 2 day opener where everything is legal for 2 days in Mid Sept. The next weekend, do the YWD, and then reopen the week after that. It gets rid of ethical problem of non legal species being shot and yet allows a harvest of early migrators like Teal and Woodies.

So If I was the Waterfowl Czar, for this Sept it'd look like this:
Sept 6th-12th, early goose only, not within 100 yds of water. (This gives the field guys a week of hunting without water roosts being busted).
Sept 13th The duck and geese over water opens up for 2 days statewide.
Sept 20th YWD.
Sept 27th Reopen duck state wide. Do the splits similar to last fall.

What do you guys think?
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:29 pm

I really believe the early teal season would be a big cluster f--k with people shooting whatever flies in to their decoys, if it were up to me, I would lose the early goose over water, throw away the YWD and open the season the way it has the last couple years, been plenty of teal around, all these early seasons just screw up the traditional opener......just my thoughts...........
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:46 pm

FYI I've seen where field hunting has blown birds out. Never to return to the roost.

sent from your bedroom closet
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”