Would you hunt the teal season in Sept if offered in MN?

Yes, definately
55%
Yes likley I would go
13%
Maybe I'd hunt them
13%
No I'd pass
19%

Total votes: 31
h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Re: Would you hunt the teal season in Sept if offered in MN?

Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:01 pm

Did so!

Did not!

Did So!!

Did Not!!

Did SO !!!

Did NOT!!!

Ahhh yes... the endless argument on roost busting.... :lol:
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:06 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:You know, the more I think about all this (some very good points being made by a number of you) the more I'd like to just see an earlier opener. Meaning do a 2 day opener where everything is legal for 2 days in Mid Sept. The next weekend, do the YWD, and then reopen the week after that. It gets rid of ethical problem of non legal species being shot and yet allows a harvest of early migrators like Teal and Woodies.

So If I was the Waterfowl Czar, for this Sept it'd look like this:
Sept 6th-12th, early goose only, not within 100 yds of water. (This gives the field guys a week of hunting without water roosts being busted).
Sept 13th The duck and geese over water opens up for 2 days statewide.
Sept 20th YWD.
Sept 27th Reopen duck state wide. Do the splits similar to last fall.

What do you guys think?

Eff the splits.

What I think is funny the guys that hate the idea of a teal season love the earlier opener with the splits. Isn't it that the same thing? By all the talk wouldn't the early opener with the split have the same effect on ducks leaving as a teal season supposedly would?

BTW having days closed during October is the worst thing to happen to mn duck hunting in a long time.

sent from your bedroom closet
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:34 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:Did so!

Did not!

Did So!!

Did Not!!

Did SO !!!

Did NOT!!!

Exactly.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:47 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:Did so!

Did not!

Did So!!

Did Not!!

Did SO !!!

Did NOT!!!

Just **** sick of field hunters and their holier than you bullcrap. Shooting at birds has a negative impact of their habits. Land or water.

Hate hate hate hate hate hate

StuStiltman
Mergie Marauder

Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:00 pm

gimpfinger wrote:FYI I've seen where field hunting has blown birds out. Never to return to the roost.

X2, I've seen it many times, wanna know how to kill September geese? Hunt where they are, water or field. Did anyone ever have a bad openening duck day before early goose or youth hunting day? I wonder what they blamed their bad hunt on. Personally, I love early goose, its the high lite of my year, if I shoot a few less ducks on the opener I'm OK with that. As far as blaming the kids on poor success, grow up. Ywd is a special day for the kids, get over it. If your not willing to trade a few ducks on opener for the kids IMO, you have a problem, grown men being jealous of children is pathetic. Greed knows no boundaries.

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:54 pm

StuStiltman wrote:
gimpfinger wrote:FYI I've seen where field hunting has blown birds out. Never to return to the roost.

X2, I've seen it many times, wanna know how to kill September geese? Hunt where they are, water or field. Did anyone ever have a bad openening duck day before early goose or youth hunting day? I wonder what they blamed their bad hunt on. Personally, I love early goose, its the high lite of my year, if I shoot a few less ducks on the opener I'm OK with that. As far as blaming the kids on poor success, grow up. Ywd is a special day for the kids, get over it. If your not willing to trade a few ducks on opener for the kids IMO, you have a problem, grown men being jealous of children is pathetic. Greed knows no boundaries.

I hunted in the first 4 YWD's ever. I don't look back on those days as fondly as I do opener when I actually got to hunt with my dad. Your not hunting with someone if they are just spectating next to you. And since then with the increased popularity of early goose and YWD still trudging along, call it what you want, but I don't consider in coincidence that my dad's opening day success dwindled to the point of him not hunting in mn anymore (he was always a first day and a cold day duck hunter). Opener used to be the first day anyone was in the duck marshes, now by opener they have been molested for 3 weeks, if you don't think that added pressure affects ducks and moves them then I would never believe a word about duck hunting that you have to say.

YWD was created to increase participation in waterfowling and continue the tradition of the sport. Since it started in the mid-90's we have lost 50,000 waterfowlers, you call my opposition to youth day greed, I call it preserving the sport. And I used to share your viewpoint.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

StuStiltman
Mergie Marauder

Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:33 pm

Trigger wrote:
StuStiltman wrote:

I hunted in the first 4 YWD's ever. I don't look back on those days as fondly as I do opener when I actually got to hunt with my dad. Your not hunting with someone if they are just spectating next to you. And since then with the increased popularity of early goose and YWD still trudging along, call it what you want, but I don't consider in coincidence that my dad's opening day success dwindled to the point of him not hunting in mn anymore (he was always a first day and a cold day duck hunter). Opener used to be the first day anyone was in the duck marshes, now by opener they have been molested for 3 weeks, if you don't think that added pressure affects ducks and moves them then I would never believe a word about duck hunting that you have to say.
We have something in common, you hunted the first 4 ywd, I hunted the first 2. I took part in it and still support it. It was.a.special day for me, maybe if wasn't for you. We all have different experiences. Ywd, and early goose obviously affects ducks and moves them, I'm OK with that, the kids have a special day and as a result I have a little more work to do, (scouting). Its worth it for the kids. Participation has dropped, your correct, no denying that. Has it dropped because the kids have a special day all to themselves or because most hunters are getting old, some to old to go hunting by themselves. My dad and his friends took me hunting as a child, even on ywd when they couldn't shoot, BTW they were still hunting, if you can't separate hunting from shooting your not a hunter. My dad and his/our friends are now old, they still hunt, mostly because I take them and do the hard work, wanna know why?,its because I owe them, in part because they took me out hunting on ywd. I call someone who puts.his.own success above that of a special day for the kids greedy, that's the.way I see it. Trigger, when your kids are.old enough for ywd will you tell them they shouldn't go? You went, your not a Hippocratic are you?

YWD was created to increase participation in waterfowling and continue the tradition of the sport. Since it started in the mid-90's we have lost 50,000 waterfowlers, you call my opposition to youth day greed, I call it preserving the sport. And I used to share your viewpoint.

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:05 pm

Holy crap. You sure do think this is a special day don't you? And you're correct, my kids will not be participating. Hopefully youth cripplefest (ala Bullet) is done away with by then, but if not we will be in a state that's open to everyone so my kids get to hunt with their dad bc the reason I didn't enjoy YWD as much as you did was bc my dad didn't get to hunt. But apparently I'm the greedy one. And my kids will understand there is a correlation between shooting and hunting because without one you don't have the other, atleast I would never consider someone who never kills a hunter.

It seems like the guys that are so jacked up about this "special" day for the kids are the ones who either won't take them during regular season, or if they do these guys are to greedy to set their guns down and help the kid when birds are flying. When I hunt with my nephew my gun is there soley for quick back up shots. But I'm the greedy one. YWD is the definition of greed.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

StuStiltman
Mergie Marauder

Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:24 pm

Well trigger, let's call it a difference of opinions, I respect yours but don't agree with it. As far as killing goes I've done my share, I'll trade some of my future kills for kids.to get.some of there own, and yes I have.very fond memories of ywd, it was very special for me and I hope its around in the future for my kids. And BTW, when your dad.took you out on ywd, he was hunting, After you've shot a.couple hundred more ducks you may come to realize that, hunting is about finding birds and tricking them into trying to land.in your decoys, the shooting is a.very minor part of the whole experience, I hope in time you will learn that and.pass it on.

StuStiltman
Mergie Marauder

Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:46 pm

And BTW, I do consider any grown man who cries about missing out on a few ducks due to children having a special ywd all to themselves as greedy, especially if that person took part in ywd as a child, its the hight of hipocracy. GROW UP, its not all about you, pathetic. I try not to take part in internet smack talk but pathetic is the only word that comes to mind. A difference of opinion is one thing, blaming children on your poor success is completely different, its pathetic.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”