Would you hunt the teal season in Sept if offered in MN?

Yes, definately
55%
Yes likley I would go
13%
Maybe I'd hunt them
13%
No I'd pass
19%

Total votes: 31
h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Re: Would you hunt the teal season in Sept if offered in MN?

Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:10 am

FF, I am not going to argue with you as what I said happened is true, as any further discussion I'd be stooping down to your childish level.

Enough said.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:57 am

h2ofwlr wrote:FF, I am not going to argue with you as what I said happened is true, as any further discussion I'd be stooping down to your childish level.

Enough said.

Ok. I do actually kind of believe you about the ducks. Where were you hunting? Since you were motoring in I'm assuming it was swan. How many other guys were out there hunting? Approximately how many ducks did you see floating on the water? And what did the local CO have to say about the ducks after you called him about it?
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:03 pm

Yes Swan.
A far amount, just about like a reg opener weekend for the number of hunters.
At least 8. The dead ducks laying kind of reminded me like the coots laying dead on the 2nd day of a reg opener. (Oh there is another reinforcing point--of how many hunters can not tell the difference between a coot and duck - so how can they tell a BWTeal from a single young hen mallard or gadwall?)
So as a kid I had a cell and called the CO, eh? :roll: I'd have to be awfully precosious to attempt a phone call, not to mention to try to figure out who to call on a Sunday. And phone systems back then you called like "greenwood 5 - 6789" when you called. The phone and phone system back then were nothing like even the 80s. A lot of people had party lines back then too. (I bet a bunch here don't even know what a party line was).
And remember--I did not see who shot the non legal ducks, but just the aftermath evidence. So why even call? Remember the COs had boats out, they saw it too.

But it did leave an impression upon me that it was not right to leave ducks laying.

And that's why I support Steve Cordts going after a mistake duck duck as part of the Teal bag limit as it's the right thing to do.

Frankly, I think the "best" thing to do is use 2 of the reg season 60 days and just have the regular duck regs the weekend after Labor Day, basically an extra split. And best meaning, a lot less worry of mistake ducks shot and left behind, thus more ethical, more opportunity for hunters to harvest teal and woodies, less bitching about YWD which could be the 3rd Sat of Sept and the regular opener the 4th weekend, etc. Yup, If I was in Steve's shoes, that is what I'd propose as it the best for all concerned.

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:47 am

h2ofwlr wrote:(Oh there is another reinforcing point--of how many hunters can not tell the difference between a coot and duck - so how can they tell a BWTeal from a single young hen mallard or gadwall?)

There sure are a lot of ASSumptions in that comment that is being portrayed as truth.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:42 am

P
h2ofwlr wrote:Yes Swan.
A far amount, just about like a reg opener weekend for the number of hunters.
At least 8. The dead ducks laying kind of reminded me like the coots laying dead on the 2nd day of a reg opener. (Oh there is another reinforcing point--of how many hunters can not tell the difference between a coot and duck - so how can they tell a BWTeal from a single young hen mallard or gadwall?)
So as a kid I had a cell and called the CO, eh? :roll: I'd have to be awfully precosious to attempt a phone call, not to mention to try to figure out who to call on a Sunday. And phone systems back then you called like "greenwood 5 - 6789" when you called. The phone and phone system back then were nothing like even the 80s. A lot of people had party lines back then too. (I bet a bunch here don't even know what a party line was).
And remember--I did not see who shot the non legal ducks, but just the aftermath evidence. So why even call? Remember the COs had boats out, they saw it too.

But it did leave an impression upon me that it was not right to leave ducks laying.

And that's why I support Steve Cordts going after a mistake duck duck as part of the Teal bag limit as it's the right thing to do.

Frankly, I think the "best" thing to do is use 2 of the reg season 60 days and just have the regular duck regs the weekend after Labor Day, basically an extra split. And best meaning, a lot less worry of mistake ducks shot and left behind, thus more ethical, more opportunity for hunters to harvest teal and woodies, less bitching about YWD which could be the 3rd Sat of Sept and the regular opener the 4th weekend, etc. Yup, If I was in Steve's shoes, that is what I'd propose as it the best for all concerned.

Please describe how you examined these dead birds. As, it's not uncommon to find large amounts of waterfowl dead in early Setember...due to botulism and other diseases or parasites.

And your suggested season proposal is one i'd support 100%.
Dominate The Skies.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:24 am

Ron, I believe my dad had enough sense not to get too close to the dead birds as otherwise I'd have picked them up--and to have a non legal bird in your possession, well... you know what can happen then with a CO encounters that.

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:49 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:Ron, I believe my dad had enough sense not to get too close to the dead birds as otherwise I'd have picked them up--and to have a non legal bird in your possession, well... you know what can happen then with a CO encounters that.

So these could have very easily been coots then?

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:19 am

I've never seen dead coots floating randomly on opener..... Swan~ for the outlaw in all of us?

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:38 am

Oh I've seen coots laying dead on other popular places too after opening weekend. Ask the guys that hunt Rice in Shakopee, or Patterson, Tiger, Rice in Carver Cty, or Pelican in Wright Cty.
BTW, I've never seen a brown coot before. Dang it, maybe I should have picked up a few of those brown coots 48 years ago so that the DNR could ID the new never seen before species.
Eah, eah, eah, the wrong answer buzzer just went off. :lol:

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:41 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:Oh I've seen coots laying dead on other popular places too after opening weekend. Ask the guys that hunt Rice in Shakopee, or Patterson, Tiger, Rice in Carver Cty, or Pelican in Wright Cty.
BTW, I've never seen a brown coot before. Dang it, maybe I should have picked up a few of those brown coots 48 years ago so that the DNR could ID the new never seen before species.
Eah, eah, eah, the wrong answer buzzer just went off. :lol:

I've hunted every one of those lakes a bunch back in high school. And I have never seen a single coot or illegal duck laying dead in the water. You claim to see more laws being broken than anyone else I have ever heard of. It's as though you make it all up just to make hunters look bad.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”