Johnsd16
Coot Commander

Canada neck collar pic1!

Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:48 pm

Old pic, fall of 2000 when I hunted WI a lot with the one goose limit. Came across the pic after many years and finally scanned it. One of my favorites.

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Re: Canada neck collar pic1!

Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:52 pm

Nice pic...........
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:11 pm

Nice! Whats the story and banding info?
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:21 pm

Cool! And beautiful dog.

StuStiltman
Mergie Marauder

Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:14 pm

Cool picture!! Did you see the neck collar on the goose before you shot it?

Johnsd16
Coot Commander

Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:40 pm

StuStiltman wrote:Cool picture!! Did you see the neck collar on the goose before you shot it?

Yes, it was in a flock of three and I saw it as they swung wide at about 80yds lining up to finish up the gut of our spread. I was the only one who could see them on that turn. I was with two older guys in their 50s so when I called the shot (when they hit 35 yds) I was probably half way up and cranking all three shots at that goose. Kind of a d-move but I was 17. We already had one on the ground so it was just two of us shooting. It was disced corn in mid-late October right above a huge roost. We shot a limit there many times that year. I killed that one and the other guy killed his and never even saw the collar til I picked it up. He said I looked like Carl Lewis after I left my blind as I ran out to that goose. Kept the leg band on my goose call lanyard for years then loaned it to some younger guys and they misplaced the whole rig, my flute, band and lanyard. Left it hanging on a fence post in a field. Still hunt with them, they didn't steal it. I have the collar though. It was banded a year and a half before as a juvie about 30 miles from where I killed it.

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:45 pm

Johnsd16 wrote:
StuStiltman wrote:Cool picture!! Did you see the neck collar on the goose before you shot it?

Yes, it was in a flock of three and I saw it as they swung wide at about 80yds lining up to finish up the gut of our spread. I was the only one who could see them on that turn. I was with two older guys in their 50s so when I called the shot (when they hit 35 yds) I was probably half way up and cranking all three shots at that goose. Kind of a d-move but I was 17. We already had one on the ground so it was just two of us shooting. It was disced corn in mid-late October right above a huge roost. We shot a limit there many times that year. I killed that one and the other guy killed his and never even saw the collar til I picked it up. He said I looked like Carl Lewis after I left my blind as I ran out to that goose. Kept the leg band on my goose call lanyard for years then loaned it to some younger guys and they misplaced the whole rig, my flute, band and lanyard. Left it hanging on a fence post in a field. Still hunt with them, they didn't steal it. I have the collar though. It was banded a year and a half before as a juvie about 30 miles from where I killed it.

You're right... That is a d-bag move without calling it out first. Congrats though. There is nothing better than shooting a band from the place it was banded.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

Johnsd16
Coot Commander

Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:59 am

Trigger wrote:
Johnsd16 wrote:

You're right... That is a d-bag move without calling it out first. Congrats though. There is nothing better than shooting a band from the place it was banded.

I still feel a little guilty. There was probably 7-8 yds between us as we were spread out along the uphill edge of the decoys so getting on of those old fogies to hear me was going to be tough. The birds came from our right and behind us and cut the wind coming right to left and quartering away to get out in front. They didn't circle, just swung around and came in. Probably never see another one decoy let alone shoot one.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:36 am

Very cool thanks for sharing.

Didn't they quit doing neck collars because too many were getting foiles'd?

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:42 am

Nershi wrote:Very cool thanks for sharing.

Didn't they quit doing neck collars because too many were getting foiles'd?

Yes, but not entirely why. They had problems with ice build up, and they were targeted at a higher rate even when being taken legally.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”