gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Re: Teal Season UPDATE ! ! !

Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:20 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:I think you are right about that the majority only hunt a few days a year. I think that the average days a field was something in the neighborhood of 6 days a field and a 1.3 birds per hunt average in MN

I think that there is credible evidence that 20% of the hunters shoot 80% of the fowl theory.

And I think many on this forum are part of the 20%, and thus are pushing for a teal season. Where as the guy that goes 3 or 4 times it does not even hit their radar beacuse it is not Sept yet.

But perhaps it all boils down to this: So should the DNR cater to the 80% or to the 20% serious waterfowlers?

Then why do we have a split that makes the season end later. Bet that benefits less than 2% of the hunters.

This is all about feelings and nothing else.

sent from your under your bed
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

Musher
Coot Commander

Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:23 pm

I hunted in an early teal season in the late 70's, early 80's in Indiana. Pretty sure teal aren't extinct from it. Open a season, let the duck cops sneak around and bust the guys that shoot other than teal. If you don't like it don't hunt during the teal season.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:29 pm

Ultimately liberty cannot be controlled based on what people "might" do wrong. That's why we have laws. This was tried with prohibition and the same arguments were used for why women and minorities couldn't vote.

Making something otherwise allowable, to not be allowed, because some portion of a population MIGHT do wrong... bad policy.

At this point, it's basically become like mandatory sentences for pot possession... a sure way to prove your fears are correct, even if the evidence doesn't support it.

lumbertick
Mergie Marauder

Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:01 pm

Trigger wrote:It's funny how people can see the same situation in the exact opposite light. I see a teal season as recruiting tool. For me there is nothing more enjoyable than hunting when there are a lot of birds around... Especially birds that are fun to hunt like teal. Fast, exciting action is what recruits people.

You'd think that would be the case....but the "fast action" of ywd hasn't seemed to have turned the tides of decreased enrollment in waterfowling....as well as the pretty darn good goose hunting that this state has to offer. I'm not saying a teal season wouldn't be a lot of fun...I just think it just waters down the whiskey too much.

Then again....another great question is how important is new hunter recruitment if it comes at the expense of the dedicated base?? Maybe fewer waterfowl hunters is a good thing??

When we start comparing a teal season with civil liberties I think it's safe to say we take this subject a little too seriously :D

lt

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:43 pm

lanyard wrote:
At this point, it's basically become like mandatory sentences for pot possession... a sure way to prove your fears are correct, even if the evidence doesn't support it.

I knew there was a reason I liked you.

sent from your under your bed
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:37 pm

lanyard wrote:Ultimately liberty cannot be controlled based on what people "might" do wrong. That's why we have laws. This was tried with prohibition and the same arguments were used for why women and minorities couldn't vote.

Making something otherwise allowable, to not be allowed, because some portion of a population MIGHT do wrong... bad policy.

Brilliant!

Like we can't drive cars because we might speed or drink and drive. Guilt by probability.
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:40 pm

lumbertick wrote:When we start comparing a teal season with civil liberties I think it's safe to say we take this subject a little too seriously :D

lt

I don't think we take it serious enough.
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:28 am

lumbertick wrote:
Trigger wrote:It's funny how people can see the same situation in the exact opposite light. I see a teal season as recruiting tool. For me there is nothing more enjoyable than hunting when there are a lot of birds around... Especially birds that are fun to hunt like teal. Fast, exciting action is what recruits people.

You'd think that would be the case....but the "fast action" of ywd hasn't seemed to have turned the tides of decreased enrollment in waterfowling....as well as the pretty darn good goose hunting that this state has to offer. I'm not saying a teal season wouldn't be a lot of fun...I just think it just waters down the whiskey too much.

Then again....another great question is how important is new hunter recruitment if it comes at the expense of the dedicated base?? Maybe fewer waterfowl hunters is a good thing??

When we start comparing a teal season with civil liberties I think it's safe to say we take this subject a little too seriously :D

lt

See I'm thinking about all the guys who are to old for YWD and don't goose hunt who are getting flocked by having to wait for regular opener. So not only are they missing out on the peak teal migration, they are also only able to hunt what's left of the ducks that have been pressured for three straight weeks. I think these two hunts have a direct correlation with the lower hunter numbers bc opener is no longer the slam dunk it used to be. So I'm pro teal to give guys a reasonable chance at in pressured birds, like opener used to be.

Take YWD and early goose away and I would all for waiting for regular opener and getting first crack at what's left of the teal.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:31 am

get-n-birdy wrote:
lumbertick wrote:When we start comparing a teal season with civil liberties I think it's safe to say we take this subject a little too seriously :D

lt

I don't think we take it serious enough.

I agree. I think there are to many Minnesotans that are against the minute they hear it about it without using any logical thinking (not the case for everyone who is against it). If a change in waterfowl seasons doesn't include lowering the limit or decreasing opportunities, it seems like most Minnesotans are against it.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:39 am

When are you starting the MWA Duck Killers Chapter?

May be a good way to get others on board to fight the good fight.
Dominate The Skies.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”