lumbertick
Mergie Marauder

Re: Teal Season UPDATE ! ! !

Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:55 am

Trigger wrote:Take YWD and early goose away and I would all for waiting for regular opener and getting first crack at what's left of the teal.

Now you're talking! For the record I have never written or spoken my opinions on the teal season to anyone in the MWA or DNR....but I have done all of the aforementioned on YWD and early goose. Earlier is not the answer to me...but that's me. I know what you're saying Trigger...basically opener is a turd sandwich....by adding early teal we get to have a tasty appetizer before choking down that sandwich...it's a very realistic and practical way of thinking. I like to strive for more...the ideal world...and anything that takes away from that goal is counter productive. We can't fix mistakes the mistake of YWD and early goose by opening the season earlier...we need to get rid of the mistakes.

lt

Stute Slap
Mergie Marauder

Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:58 am

Does anyone else find it incredibly ironic that Minnesota Waterfowling Association is not in favor of expanded opportunities for Minnesotans to hunt waterfowl?

You can't make schit like this up!

No wonder MWA is a considered by many to be a joke! This should do wonders for recruitment efforts - "send us money and we promise to use that money to block any new opportunities to hunt waterfowl in the state"

If you want to hunt less, send us money today!!

get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:02 am

Make the teal season cost another $25 for an early teal season stamp. Then have a one day duck id course you have to pass to get a teal id safety certificate. And make it a loose you hunting privileges for 3 years if you shoot a mistake duck. That might keep the mistake ducks down.

It's nice to know our DNR has about as much faith in us, as we have in them.
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:26 am

^^^^^ That is thinking out of the box and apretty good idea actually. Use the $25 to pay for the ID course.

lanyard wrote:Ultimately liberty cannot be controlled based on what people "might" do wrong. That's why we have laws. This was tried with prohibition and the same arguments were used for why women and minorities couldn't vote.

Making something otherwise allowable, to not be allowed, because some portion of a population MIGHT do wrong... bad policy.

Well said! Bravo. And why ultimately am in favor of an early teal season even though I have some reservations.

Trigger wrote: I think there are to many Minnesotans that are against the minute they hear it about it without using any logical thinking.

I agree. The key is to gather information and make an INFORMED decision. Unfortunately the vast majority of people do not do that, regardless of what the subject is.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Musher
Coot Commander

Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:24 pm

Charge more and make a class mandatory....that will really help recruit hunters to the game :roll:

I'm sure a bunch of guys that have been hunting for 20+ years would love to got to class and be told how to ID a teal.

Great plan :?

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:52 pm

get-n-birdy wrote:Make the teal season cost another $25 for an early teal season stamp. Then have a one day duck id course you have to pass to get a teal id safety certificate. And make it a loose you hunting privileges for 3 years if you shoot a mistake duck. That might keep the mistake ducks down.

It's nice to know our DNR has about as much faith in us, as we have in them.

I would pass on teal season if this were the case. I'de pay the extra money, but refuse to take the course. Mandatory efficiency tests are used when the DNR is utilizing hunters to reduce populations usually in cities and parks... this hunt is not intended to lower teal numbers, but rather to give hunters increased opportunity at a species with a large population. If a guy wants to go out but doesn't know what a teal is that should be his prerogative, and if he decides to shoot at something that isn't a teal and gets caught, well, then the system worked.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:47 pm

triplecurler wrote:Al, just how many days a year do you hunt waterfowl?

Bump.
Dominate The Skies.

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:27 pm

Bullet21XD wrote:

Bump.

I'm betting he hunts a lot. It'd be really weird if a guy posted as much as he does and is as passionate about duck hunting related issues as he is and not duck hunt much.

It'd be the duck hunting forum equivalent of chatting online with what you think is a chick and it's really a dude. I guess I assume most guys duck hunt on here quite a bit, why else would they be here? For him to be the leading poster and not duck hunt would be really confusing. Slightly creepy even.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:28 pm

Fish Felon wrote:
Bullet21XD wrote:

Bump.

I'm betting he hunts a lot. It'd be really weird if a guy posted as much as he does and is as passionate about duck hunting related issues as he is and not duck hunt much.

It'd be the duck hunting forum equivalent of chatting online with what you think is a chick and it's really a dude. I guess I assume most guys duck hunt on here quite a bit, why else would they be here? For him to be the leading poster and not duck hunt would be really confusing. Slightly creepy even.

The last time it was ever confirmed he was on a duck hunt was with a guide... Which means he wasn't even hunting, he was just some dudes Sport for the day.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

shnelson
Mergie Marauder

Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:47 am

Whether he's been hunting recently or not I think is irrelevant, there's a lot of valuable insight here that doesn't need to be clouded by the examination of one's "slough cred".

I didn't hunt more than four times last season, does that make me any less of a waterfowler? Definitely didn't earn the right to wear a black hoodie, but a teal season would affect my opportunities (or lack there of) this year just as much as the next guy.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”