D.T. Hammer
Mergie Marauder

Re: Teal Season UPDATE ! ! !

Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:45 am

shnelson wrote:Whether he's been hunting recently or not I think is irrelevant, there's a lot of valuable insight here that doesn't need to be clouded by the examination of one's "slough cred".

I didn't hunt more than four times last season, does that make me any less of a waterfowler? Definitely didn't earn the right to wear a black hoodie, but a teal season would affect my opportunities (or lack there of) this year just as much as the next guy.

No, but your post will give the master troll more room to work.

I love the picture on the header. What kind of duck is that? Accident bird?

Do you an Al have a special place for that bugger :-)

Hammer
Buckthorn removal is easy with the buckthorn baggie :-)

shnelson
Mergie Marauder

Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:54 am

It looks like a grebe, but I'd have to shoot it to know for certain.

D.T. Hammer
Mergie Marauder

Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:11 am

shnelson wrote:It looks like a grebe, but I'd have to shoot it to know for certain.

And then imitate your avatar after it hits the water! Ha ha ha
Buckthorn removal is easy with the buckthorn baggie :-)

get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:51 am

Other states have teal seasons. So why isn't there a big concern for them with mistake ducks?

Are Minnesotan duck hunters that much of a bunch of ignoramuses?

Getting checked by a CO lat year, he asked my brother and I if the 10 drakes and 2 hens was on purpose? Huh? The 2 hens were mistakes, not the 10 drakes. He seemed puzzled by that. Is it that odd to try and actually id what your shooting at?
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:16 pm

So, say about 40 years ago, everyone thought they knew what they were doing. They set-up lookout blinds to watch how birds are shot. And voila! 50% of birds shot weren't teal.

So, those that thought they knew what they were doing, with numbers from the previous 40 years (so, let's just the 1930's to early 1970's) considered the historical data and said, in a very Winston Churchill way "In non-breeding states where non-compliant birds are shot at a rate of 50% during teal seasons, let there be a teal season. For all those other birds being shot are incidental based on breeding areas and migration patterns. Ergo, such a "mistake" bird is not counted nor considered in annual bird surveys, and therefore is not considered a "breeder"...."

Now, 40 years after that grand proclamation and generation or two of biologists have come through the ranks, and a generation or two have died or retired, things are getting a new look with a new set of 40 year numbers and a proclamation that says, "We thinks that the number of teal available warrants increased hunting opportunities for hunters in the breeding states; however, as has been done with other Federal decrees, we will allow each State to determine their own destiny!"

For 80 years MN has pretended that it's breeding populations matter. If we have even a few 100 thousand mallards we are pushing maybe 10% of the continental population and we have not gained breeding on agriculture in the lat 20 years..... but it's going to take more than one or two years before anyone that can pull the trigger on this can talk themselves into it.

For 100 years the mantra has been "save habitat, save ducks". Yes, habitat is the largest factor in success. But after 100 years of study the dynamics have changed.... it should not be surprising that it will take some time for paradigms to change also.

Do you know how you get a thesis approved to get your MS or Phd? Write something the old people reading it agree with. And how do you do that? Study and believe what those old people wrote.

Hell, the same thing happens in Physics, Medical School, Law School, you name it. Not saying it makes anything right or wrong, but rather than biotching about a thing that may or may not be on a website read by 40 people, do some damned work to make a thing that could happen, happen.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:08 pm

get-n-birdy wrote:Other states have teal seasons. So why isn't there a big concern for them with mistake ducks?

Are Minnesotan duck hunters that much of a bunch of ignoramuses?

There are a lot less other species in the Southern states during their teal seasons. For them it is mostly teal with a few local woodies and mallards. MN obviously has a lot more other species around during September.

Sure, guys could shoot over one of the sublimits during the regular season due to not being able to ID birds. The odds of doing that are much lower than the odds of "mistake" ducks during the teal season. I am for the season but let's be honest with ourselves, there will be a lot of other species that get shot. (more than southern states teal seasons by a long shot).

Most teal will be gone by the typical MN duck opener and it has nothing to do with YWD and Early Goose over water.

We all know habitat drives duck numbers. Maybe we should have a teal season, require every CO in the state to be on duty over the two day season and give hefty fines to those who shoot "mistake" birds (no warnings allowed). Take all the fine money and put it towards habitat.

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:28 pm

Maybe it's time for a Teal Rally?

One key factor everyone is missing, is the exact reasons why the DNR is mostly against the teal season. My guess...it's because most of MN's waterfowlers would take offense. They know shatloads of other ducks will be shot. There is no law saying you must know your target before you shoot.

I'm indifferent regarding a teal season. But, I can definitely understand why they won't allow a teal only season. Surely won't bother me either way, and a if a bunch of mallards and pintails get killed as a by-catch...that's fine too!
Dominate The Skies.

get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:37 pm

So if guys can't id birds in a teal season, how can they id birds in the regular season?

Or isn't that important, because you can just shoot whatever flies in the spread or in most Minnesotans case, whatever flies 100 yards over the spread?
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:56 pm

get-n-birdy wrote:
because you can just shoot whatever flies in the spread or in most Minnesotans case, whatever flies 100 yards over the spread?

I'd be willing to be bet that the average duck hunter has no clue what they're shooting at.......
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

fowlmind
I'll Swat Your Decoys

Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:08 pm

It is just another lost opportunity for MN. I have never understood why they have not had some kind of trade of for the nesting states. Either a couple of bonus teal to the regular daily limit or a couple of days added on to the regular season. If they are not going to take advantage of the season they should reconsider negotiating something with the feds. At least plant the seed for the future. Maybe Trent Lott can negotiate that for them.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”