ducksmuggler
Mergie Marauder

Re: Teal Season UPDATE ! ! !

Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:10 pm

I have not read all the post on here.. But I for one am for teal season and those of you against it if it happens should be in the marsh calling in poachers... That's the other side of my feelings I am the type of hunter that was brought up ID'ing ducks before I could hunt them. If I can't ID a teal during a teal season pass it up. Now back if you shoot a hen woody in teal season you shot a duck out of season NO regular season for you it can work in our favor..... get the D-bag hunters out of the marsh before opener.
You can bad mouth a mans gun, his shooting, and his women but bad mouth his dog them's fighting words.

D.T. Hammer
Mergie Marauder

Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:37 pm

fowlmind wrote:It is just another lost opportunity for MN. I have never understood why they have not had some kind of trade of for the nesting states. Either a couple of bonus teal to the regular daily limit or a couple of days added on to the regular season. If they are not going to take advantage of the season they should reconsider negotiating something with the feds. At least plant the seed for the future. Maybe Trent Lott can negotiate that for them.

Or at least come up with a term to stick on them. Lower limits cuz your a resting state.
Buckthorn removal is easy with the buckthorn baggie :-)

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:27 pm

Nershi wrote:
There are a lot less other species in the Southern states during their teal seasons.

there will be a lot of other species that get shot. (more than southern states teal seasons by a long shot).

Actually, Cordts said at the Symposium that every state that participated in the 1965-67 experiment shot a combined 50% non-teal attempt average and some of the southern states were significantly worse than the northern states. I think the "best" state was Ohio with a 40% non-teal attempt rate.

The questions are: a) has anything changed and b) does it even matter, biologically speaking.

Some guys on the WI Fuge page cited experience from MO and TX that "mistake" birds are still very common.

Doesn't really sound like any major studies have been undertaken to evaluate this since the original experiment 50 years ago.

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:29 pm

Nershi wrote:
get-n-birdy wrote:Other states have teal seasons. So why isn't there a big concern for them with mistake ducks?

Are Minnesotan duck hunters that much of a bunch of ignoramuses?

Most teal will be gone by the typical MN duck opener and it has nothing to do with YWD and Early Goose over water. .

I don't totally disagree bc everyone knows the peak blue wing migration through mn is mid September But what you're saying is there is ZERO chance of any of those birds sticking around naturally because there is ZERO pressure being put on these birds by YWD and early goose hunters jumping them and shooting around ones that may have landed in the same slough after they were set up? I don't buy this logic for one second.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:32 pm

Quack wrote:
Nershi wrote:
There are a lot less other species in the Southern states during their teal seasons.

there will be a lot of other species that get shot. (more than southern states teal seasons by a long shot).

Actually, Cordts said at the Symposium that every state that participated in the 1965-67 experiment shot a combined 50% non-teal attempt average and some of the southern states were significantly worse than the northern states. I think the "best" state was Ohio with a 40% non-teal attempt rate.

The questions are: a) has anything changed and b) does it even matter, biologically speaking.

Some guys on the WI Fuge page cited experience from MO and TX that "mistake" birds are still very common.

Doesn't really sound like any major studies have been undertaken to evaluate this since the original experiment 50 years ago.

We've had 50 years of teal seasons now in the southern states, yet we have more teal than ever and the overall duck population is as strong as ever. I don't think the mistake birds are an issue.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:47 pm

shnelson wrote:I didn't hunt more than four times last season, does that make me any less of a waterfowler?

No.

I don't hunt nearly as much as I once did either. I still hunt a fair amount, mainly as a weekend warrior, but with making a career change and starting a new job I didn't get out as much last season as I would have liked to. You duck hunted so you are a duck hunter.

h2ofwlr doesn't need to hunt a lot either. He does duck hunt right?
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”