D.T. Hammer
Mergie Marauder

All you do gooders ID'ing ducks before you shoot I say BS

Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:40 pm

Alot of birds I shoot I have no idea what it is. Early season I can not tell drake woodies from hen woodies. Many diver ducks I can not tell a hen from a drake til it is hand.

And with all these do gooders how in Help do all these cross bred ducks get shot?

I have shot several cross bred ducks and enjoy it. When they were flying I ID'ed them wrong.

Iding ducks is very hard to do and I am better then most at it. While hunting with Bender I said I just dropped a hen black duck no one believed me until he ran out there (like a dog) and grabbed it and was shocked. So I can ID ducks but not close to everyone I shoot.

Do you know what your shooting every single time?
Buckthorn removal is easy with the buckthorn baggie :-)

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Re: All you do gooders ID'ing ducks before you shoot I say B

Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:07 pm

D.T. Hammer wrote:Do you know what your shooting every single time?

Nope, but I know it's legal.

I might not know if it's a hen or drake mallard at low light early in the year but if I'm pulling up and dropping a pair I'll have room in my bag for a pair of hen mallards if I'm rolling the dice. If I don't have room in my bag....well I won't roll the dice then.

Shooting a limit of teal would be absolutely no problem for me. I used to hunt the IA early split every year and although a regular season limit could be shot we targeted teal. I have all kinds of pics of 4 to 6 man limits of teal. No "mistake ducks" in the pile. It's easy.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

D.T. Hammer
Mergie Marauder

Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:17 pm

Fish Felon wrote:
D.T. Hammer wrote:Do you know what your shooting every single time?

Nope, but I know it's legal.

I might not know if it's a hen or drake mallard at low light early in the year but if I'm pulling up and dropping a pair I'll have room in my bag for a pair of hen mallards if I'm rolling the dice. If I don't have room in my bag....well I won't roll the dice then.

Thanks for being honest. I believe that is how most guys hunt, myself included.

Hammer
Buckthorn removal is easy with the buckthorn baggie :-)

triplecurler
Mergie Marauder

Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:23 pm

I Id every duck before I pull the trigger, it just that I'm about 50% until the green heads color up. Ain't chitting either.
Ask Al how to successfully nest wood ducks, see you next season.

get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:44 pm

Good eye sight and being an avid bird watcher helps. And being a fat @ss, lazy bass turd who doesn't like to get up to early helps a lot. Hard to id birds when it's dark out. I get made fun of for how close I like birds and view 25 yards as a long shot. Prefer birds in that 10-15 yard range. Once again fat and lazy wins out. Everything is easier the closer birds are. It's usually cheaper on shells to.

Early season I usually have no clue. If it flies in, is brown and doesn't have a white bill, I just shoot and hope it isn't a species that's restricted.
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:54 pm

001.JPG

Teal are hard to ID..........
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:58 pm

emptymag wrote:
001.JPG

Teal are hard to ID..........

Man thats alot of mallards.

sent from your under your bed
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:37 pm

D.T. Hammer wrote:Alot of birds I shoot I have no idea what it is. Early season I can not tell drake woodies from hen woodies. Many diver ducks I can not tell a hen from a drake til it is hand.

And with all these do gooders how in Help do all these cross bred ducks get shot?

I have shot several cross bred ducks and enjoy it. When they were flying I ID'ed them wrong.

Iding ducks is very hard to do and I am better then most at it. While hunting with Bender I said I just dropped a hen black duck no one believed me until he ran out there (like a dog) and grabbed it and was shocked. So I can ID ducks but not close to everyone I shoot.

Do you know what your shooting every single time?

I was thinking about this today actually. And the answer is pretty darn close to yes, with a lot of what FF said about simply knowin it's a legal bird especially in low light. It's an incredibly rare day I pick up a bird and say "whoa... I was way off". and when it happens its usually hen divers. I haven't miss id'de a teal since youth day.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:57 am

There was a time I wouldn't shoot anything unless it was a drake or a mistake. Wouldn't shoot teal, buffies, goldeneyes, gads, or spooners at various points in my career, too.

Which means I've cheated myself and my dog out of a lot of enjoyable mornings. Hunting just ain't that much fun when you've got your panties that bunched up!

These days I try to select drakes, but I don't sweat it at early light or early in the season.

Many blackducks got a free pass because I was sitting there withmy thumb up my butt wondering if it was a hen or drake mallard. Stupid.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:15 am

Trigger wrote:I was thinking about this today actually. And the answer is pretty darn close to yes, with a lot of what FF said about simply knowin it's a legal bird especially in low light. It's an incredibly rare day I pick up a bird and say "whoa... I was way off". and when it happens its usually hen divers. I haven't miss id'de a teal since youth day.

Pretty much this besides early light. I don't do much shooting till light. Only because I want the roost birds to stick around.

sent from your under your bed
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”