get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Re: It feels like Fall has arrived

Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:46 pm

Cause they can migrate whenever they want. Even calendar birds have some variances. Although they might be smaller windows, you can't just expect them all to got through exactly on date x, at a set time period, on the exact same side of a specific slough. Yeah, there's patterns, but there's fluctuations within those patterns dictated by food sources, habitat and weather.
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: It feels like Fall has arrived

Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:19 pm

Fowler the nit picker
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:59 pm

Most all Adult drake BWTeal are out if the upper midwest by mid Sept.
The young of the year need to build of wing strength so they are a good month behind and the hens are recovering yet from the rigors of nesting and raising the brood.
'nuff said.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:40 am

Thought you said they leave in August?

Team Power Dump

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:10 am

Fowler just regurgitates what he has read. I highly doubt he spends any time in the field during late August and early September to observe how the Spring, Summer, weather, moon phases, food etc etc affect the timing of the teal migration.

He would probably also tell you that the peak of the ring neck migration is at the start of October because that is what the graph in the regulations book says.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:00 am

^^^ Mid Oct.

gimpfinger wrote:Thought you said they leave in August?

Most adult drakes do. They start migrating mid Aug. Hens and young migrate in Sept

If we had an early teal season, it would be next weekend, the 1st weekend of Sept. As you go south, for example MO starts the 2nd weekend and runs 15 days. So don't you think they'd set the dates from when peak numbers are encountered? If the bulk are in MO the 3rd weekend of Sept, one would realize that the bulk is not in the upper midwest anymore, eh?

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:23 pm

I wouldn't want a teal season the first week in September. The numbers aren't there (most years).

Team Power Dump
Last edited by gimpfinger on Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:25 pm

I did finally talk to someone that got the dnr survey and the way he talked it was a either or type question. Keep youth day or have a teal season. If true I see why nobody "wanted" a teal season.

Team Power Dump

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:52 pm

If indeed it was asked that way - that was pure BS on the DNRs part. Kind of like the politicians " I voted for it, but didn't really vote for it" crap.

One of the reasons BWTeal traditionally can take the extra harvest during early season is that they are adult drakes. Down south they are mostly adult drakes and a few nonbreeder hens. Up here, most adult drakes have left by the end of the 1st week of Sept. And the hens and young of the year don't peak until 3rd week of Sept.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:18 pm

The guy said you had to check one or the other on the survey. So?

I have said before to friends that they didn't take the season because that would mean we would be out there before the youth day and no way the dnr would want that. Maybe I was right. Just think of the childen.

Hell the way they set the split up this year the chilren get two special openers. Which I'm sure why it was done this way.

Team Power Dump

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”