NitroZ9 Duck Killin
No longer welcome here.

Re: Anybody a Forced Induction Expert?

Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:32 pm

Stute Slap wrote:Hammer is a Forced "insertion" expert.

Are posts like this necessary?

dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:42 pm

A bad knock sensor would absolutely throw a code, not sure about the chain. I get the 100% thing, had it with a few cars in the past, I'm blessed to have better knowledge of cars now, and have the ability to work on them daily now, but I still have a ton to learn. Hope your problem is fixed soon, hunting season is almost upon us.

StuStiltman
Mergie Marauder

Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:03 pm

About the fixed inlet pipe boost leak, was the inlet loose, have a hole in it or was it not hooked up at all? If it wasn't hooked up at all your engine may be dusted. Not a gas engine expert, I work on diesels for a living, which are all turbocharged. If it was infact not hooked up and if you have documentation proving it was due to service by your dealer they may owe you a new engine. If that wasn't the case disregard this post.

dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:06 pm

Sorry to go off track but what do you do stu?

StuStiltman
Mergie Marauder

Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:22 pm

dwendt wrote:Sorry to go off track but what do you do stu?

Diagnose and repair diesel engines, mostly dealing with modern on highway emission systems but I still do a fair amount of major iron repairs, overhauls, cam jobs ect. Not sure if that transfers over to gas engines but the boost leak got me thinking. Dusted out cylinders = low compression = all kinds of crazy problems. The very low power described makes me think the inlet pipe wasnt connected at all causing the charged air to be blown out of the system, causing the intake manifold to become a vacume system instead of a pressure system causing all kinds of dirt to be sucked into the engine. Normally (on diesels anyways) boost leaks cause poor milage or occasionally a whistling sound. Major losses of power are (again on diesels) rarely caused by boost leaks. That thought happened to cross my mind and I figured I'd share it, possibly help out.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:36 pm

95k miles now...its definitely the timing chain stretch issue. The below video is not the best but you can hear the rattle just a little after start up. Was from yesterday morning.
http://youtu.be/hXBomAnrQDg
Usually the longer it sits, the worse it is as the tensioner loosens.

Ford recently issued a TSB for the primary timing chain prematurely stretching, covered under the 80,000 mile emission warranty but I'm already past that. My best hope is that eventually Ford steps up and covers this for a lot of people...as they know there is a problem they completely changed the part number.

Theres varying theories on what going on...but in the TSB Ford went back on their word and now say full synthetic should be used(are they telling all the truck owners to switch to synthetic? no). They recommended synthetic blend before. Also, they have not come out and said it...but do not go by the oil life monitor on these trucks. Mine goes to 10,000 miles sometimes before the light turns on. I followed the OLM for the first year of ownership, but the last 2 years I have been doing 4,000 mile oil changes. There is a lot of fuel that accumulates in the crank case on some of these trucks(especially short trips), which is not good if you are going on extended intervals. Others have a theory the chain just wasn't made of good enough material and the HPFP is adding too much strain to the chain.

Whatever the case is, I think this stretched chain is causing a lot of my problems and I am getting it addressed. It is probably more than I want to get into at this point in time with some Ford specific tools required, and its a pretty big job. I am either having the dealer do it so I have warranty on their work(because some have gotten the TSB done and the rattle came back days later) or will have my buddy who is a Nissan tech do it(Nissan has the same issues cropping up on their turbocharged engines, as well as Chev).

But if you have an F150 Ecoboost(or really and turbocharged direct injection vehicle), I would strongly recommend you change to full synthetic and get oil changes every 5,000 miles or less. The TSB is for trucks built before 10/10/2014...so no model year is safe.

Just a heads up for anyone owning one of these trucks cause its not going to be a cheap repair. The TSB calls for 9 hrs labor plus the chain. But I am going to have them replace guides, tensioner, possibly the secondary chain and water pump since they are already going to be in there. I do not want to have this issue come back after a few days like some people have had happen, and that's most likely because the tensioner was damaged when fully extended and they are not replacing them per the TSB. There could potentially be a much larger problem of oil not flowing to the tensioner which could also be why the noise has been coming back for some just days later.

Guess we'll see. If it wasn't a new model year this year I'd consider getting a 15...but after having my 11 I will never buy first year again haha

Goldfish
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:30 pm

It shouldn't really be that hard to add a turbo to a truck without all these complications you are having

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:22 am

As part of my ongoing process to get a perfect running truck and hopefully increase its longevity, I installed an aftermarket intercooler yesterday:

The water on the floor next to the old intercooler is condensation that forms inside the IC...and is ingested by the engine under high boost situations. Dumped that water out of the old intercooler.

Inside the old intercooler, oil is also collected due to the PCV system on most modern engines. This mixes with the water and gives you the snot looking mix

This new intercooler isn't going to necessarily stop the collection of oil and water. But is does have a breather to help vent it. Truck will also run cooler which is always a good thing for longevity.

To get rid of the oil in the intake system, I will be installing a catch can system that collects the oil that is evacuated out of the crankcase. This will increase the octane of the fuel being used, as well as lead to less carbon deposits on the valves. Hopefully I can do that in the next month or so.

Tomorrow I will be installing a 170 degree thermostat, which will let the engine run at a much cooler temp than it currently is, which helps especially while towing.

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:37 am

What does Ford say about the condensation that accumulates in the IC ?? Are they worried about it ??
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:08 pm

Well...semi concerned. My truck is an '11, first year. The first year I owned it(along with many other people), after cruising long periods of time in fog and rain, I accelerated heavily and the truck would gulp that condensation in...causing the truck to go into limp mode and it would not accelerate for 30 seconds or so. Since then, they have issued various TSB's to address the drinking condensation issue. I had a Ford revised IC installed which basically slowed down the airflow inside the intercooler and added a plate to the front of the intercooler to limit is cooling capacity(really really stupid). After having that installed, I never experienced it again and most others haven't either. But it hurt performance. As long as the truck is not getting a huge gulp of moisture from the IC, in their mind "its fine"

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”