Would you hunt the teal season in Sept if offered in MN?

Yes, definately
55%
Yes likley I would go
13%
Maybe I'd hunt them
13%
No I'd pass
19%

Total votes: 31
lumbertick
Mergie Marauder

Re: Would you hunt the teal season in Sept if offered in MN?

Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:50 am

Trigger wrote:Just curious... Why do you think it would be a bad idea?

I subscribe to the theory that while early seasons will give folks an oppportunity to possibly bag more birds on opener...it also drives birds out of the area and creates more problems later in the season. YWD, early goose on water, teal season...it's all the same to me. For most hunters opening day is the best day of the year in terms of birds bagged. Does it matter if it's in October or September as far as recruitment goes? Throw in the amount of other ducks that are gonna get stomped into the mud from mis-identification and I don't see the benefit? Minnesota is a state struggling to hold ducks and this just makes it worse.

lt

Waterfowlist
Mergie Marauder

Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:55 am

I will hunt. Yeah maybe some ducks will leave right after, but only because they have a state like Missouri to look forward to, one packed with food for waterfowl.
Last edited by Waterfowlist on Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brose
Mergie Marauder

Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:06 am

I would hunt it but think its a bad idea.
DOA Decoys Pro Staff
Mossy Oak Pro Staff

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:09 pm

lumbertick wrote:
Trigger wrote:Just curious... Why do you think it would be a bad idea?

I subscribe to the theory that while early seasons will give folks an oppportunity to possibly bag more birds on opener...it also drives birds out of the area and creates more problems later in the season. YWD, early goose on water, teal season...it's all the same to me. For most hunters opening day is the best day of the year in terms of birds bagged. Does it matter if it's in October or September as far as recruitment goes? Throw in the amount of other ducks that are gonna get stomped into the mud from mis-identification and I don't see the benefit? Minnesota is a state struggling to hold ducks and this just makes it worse.

lt

So you really think that we hold birds from the beginning of the season to the end? If we open the season on Oct 1, we are a full two weeks past the peak BW Teal migration and we are still incredibly dependent on them for a successful opener statewide, do you think there is some way we can stop them from migrating? Why wouldn't we want a season to coincide with peak numbers of huntable birds in the state before they find the cities and refuges or migrate?

I would be all for not having a teal season if we did away with the failed YWD and all early goose over water. Even though we would still be dependent on a warm September for a good teal harvest on opener, atleast they wouldn't be pushed out of the state before duck hunters get a chance to hunt them. With a teal season they are finally finding a way to give back to the hardcore duck hunters who are almost always forgotten about by the DNR.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:11 pm

Brose wrote:I would hunt it but think its a bad idea.

Why do you think its a bad idea?
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:13 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:
ducksmuggler wrote: That said ONLY 1 state out of all the states with teal season, can say they don't have miss ID'd kills.

That is not accurate. Only 1 state met the crteria of a less than a 25% attempt rate of non legal species in 1965. Mn was 50% and the average was 45% across the states.
FYI guys, attempt rate means that when we had a 50% rate, 50% of the non legal species birds were shot at. Back then it was a 4 a day limit, that means a LOT of non legal birds were shot at and killed.

I can see why the 1 mistake duck allowance to minimize wanton waste of the non legal species being shot.

Like I mentioned on another topic a few weeks nack, I saw LOTS of non legal ducks laying dead when heading back to the landing in '65. I have a serious concern about that as I think hunters today are worse at IDing ducks on the wing then 47 years ago. As such I think Mn should have a 4 day teal limit with 1 mistake allowed. If hunters can not be happy with that, well too bad.

Iowa has an early duck season with regular limits, they just take those 5 days off the end of the season. I'd like to know why this isn't being looked at as an option.

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:14 pm

Bullet21XD wrote:I probably wouldn't hunt, but not really sure. I don't really like the idea.

Plus, it would likely interfere with dove killing, and i'd much rather shoot those. Teal could be a backup plan.

Why don't you really like the idea?

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:16 pm

Bill Gilbertson wrote:I have mixed feelings on it. I don't understand how a person can be against YWD and think early teal is a good idea.

Who gets to hunt on YWD? And who doesn't?

Brose
Mergie Marauder

Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:20 pm

Trigger wrote:

The high % of misidentified birds that would be shot.
DOA Decoys Pro Staff
Mossy Oak Pro Staff

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:31 pm

Brose wrote:
Trigger wrote:

The high % of misidentified birds that would be shot.

Should we close all the bars because people might drive drunk? But I see your point, which is why I've always been in favor of an early duck season like Iowa has.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”