lickmyvowels
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: Post a picture you took in the last week.

Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:46 pm

Fish Felon wrote:Bad Freaking Ass. Were you able to figure out what it is Gimp?

Right now my initial guess is that what I found came from a giant beaver....the long extinct prehistoric species, not a really large modern beaver.
The best guesses are it's a tailbone from a bison but the thing is way bigger than one I've ever seen. It was halfway through fossilization so it was old. Who knows it could be from a wooly rino. I sent picks to the MN zoo and never got any response. I've found old bison jawbones and have found elk antlers in a creek bed.

The flint point is from around 4,000 bc and was for a atl-atl. It's made of white chert (flint). They have only been found in Lyon county and Kandi counties. So it may be one of or if not the first found in Redwood county. If I showed you where I found it you would think that it makes sense that it was there. It's an ancient game trail on a long point surrounded by cliffs.

The tailbone was found not far from the area (10 min walk) that I found that point.

Sent from my moto g power (XT2041DL) using Tapatalk

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Re: Post a picture you took in the last week.

Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:06 pm

Pretty cool finds guys.

About 10 years ago my aunt was pulling out skipping stones for my little cousins to skip out in to the lake. My dad happened to look down as he was walking on to the dock and noticed one was an Indian arrowhead. It was about to get launched out in to the lake. The historical society aged it for him but I don’t remember the details. The suckers like to spawn on that section of the shore so that is my best guess for what it was used for. I skipped a lot of stones as a kid. Makes me wonder how many I sent out to deep water never to be found.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:23 pm

Pretty cool! Something I could probably get into with more time available

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:11 am

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:34 pm

Congrats! Gotta love Western big game hunting trips.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

lickmyvowels
Mergie Marauder

Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:17 pm

From forest to belly...now if we could stop getting missed by the rain so I can fill bags full. ImageImage

Sent from my moto g power (XT2041DL) using Tapatalk

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:54 pm

New jack Daniels documentary Chasing Whiskey
IMG_20210710_223136221_copy_1536x2048.jpg

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:43 pm

Niiiiice! Cheers!

I think my stocking program is starting to really pay off. Just a beauty 3-4 pounder. Healthy as all can be. Perfect hook set in the lip, released no worse for wear. It'd be so awesome if they are spawning in the lake. I released the first four fishing opener weekend 2013, that Sunday, and the four fish were all between 4 & 7 lbs. There's been I'm guessing roughly between 200 & 300 released since then.
20210710_233922.jpg

20210710_233934.jpg
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:02 am

It really is amazing how long fish live. We have a pond in our office and during spring turkey hunting spring 2000 we drained a pond at my dad's buddies house near Rochester...brought back several suckers and put them in the office pond. A couple jumped out over weekends and smelled up the office but still have one in there 21 years later

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: Post a picture you took in the last week.

Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:04 am

Yeah, fish can live to be Old....like Old-Old. There are Buffalo (the native carp like fish) in MN aged at 125 years old. Some of the big sea groupers were alive during the Civil War. Most game fish don't really get that old in comparison. A twenty year old walleye is a very old walleye. Almost unheard of old....it'd be like a person living to 110.

lickmyvowels wrote:The best guesses are it's a tailbone from a bison but the thing is way bigger than one I've ever seen. It was halfway through fossilization so it was old.

Have you seen how big bison were during the ice age and after? Everything was just fukcing gigantic back then....beavers were the size of black bears....for real, look it up. They were the size of bears yet still made lodges, dams, did the same type of shit they do today.

Bison were also huge....three times the size of their modern descendents.

A warming climate favored the small from an evolutionary standpoint. It's the same reason why deer in FL are the size of a border collie....fukcers weigh like fifty pounds. The same species of mammals always get smaller the closer to the equator they get. Smaller bodies are able to regulate their temperature better to stay cooler in warmer climes, bigger animals have too much mass to regulate themselves to stay cool enough.....the opposite is true in colder climates....bigger animals means staying warm, being small means freezing to death.

We can see these distinctions very apparently in real time. Think of it happening for 14,000+ years from an evolutionary standpoint in a world that went from having a mile and a half of ice covering Des Moines, 2.5 miles of ice covering a lot of MN, enough ice that oceans were 300' lower....

....think of going from that degree of cold to the relative balmy temps we currently have.

Everything was bigger back then....everything....a lot bigger. It's like the difference in whitetails from the Northern half of Saskatchewan to the whitetails in FL....times ten.

And that's why any bison fossil you find should be huge compared to today's animals.
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”