kwackkillncrew
Sour Toe Connoisseur

Re: Post a picture you took in the last week.

Sat Aug 12, 2023 4:20 pm

Top picture is 180 corlokts bottom is 180 barnes ttsx. Amazing how different they shoot. Didnt adjust the scope at all. 100 yards should be right on at 200ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
official sour toe member number 52,814

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:52 pm

Cork Lokt are ass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:42 am

i've never had a problem getting barnes to group well..... Getting them to consistently perform terminally has been another matter.

Several bulls and deer and barnes have been about 50% acceptability for me. YMMV
Last edited by Mallard_maniac on Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Post a picture you took in the last week.

Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:29 am

One things I’ve learned shooting solid copper is you NEED to hit vitals.

My results with solid copper has been mixed, but I can’t say with a great degree of confidence the issue wasn’t poor shot placement on my part.

I don’t think solid copper produces the massive hemorrhaging (at least not always) that most lead bullets do that can sometimes bail a guy out with bad shot placement.

kwackkillncrew
Sour Toe Connoisseur

Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:51 am

Probably going to use the barnes on the moose hunt. I have taken 2 deer 2 caribou and helped take down a moose with the core lokts (between 180 to 250 yards) with no issue but its hard to want to shoot them when the barnes group so much better. At 100 yards they are all kill shots but if I need to poke out to 300 for some reason and get a bad corlokt it might be a sub par shot.

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:54 am

even then I'm not sold. If you have 2 of the same animal, identical in every way and you send one mono through both lungs and one rapidly expanding, fragmenting bullet which one will expire faster. The answer will always be the one with the bigger hole which mono's do a very poor job at creating.

Mono's do one thing exceptionally well, the one thing they were originally designed for which is deep penetration. The trade off is a very narrow channel which for me about 1/2 the time has been about the diameter of an old XX75 aluminum arrow regardless of caliber. The very best case scenario w/ full upset has had the frontal diameter of a nickel (30 cal). Even on bullets I retrieved I had a lot of variability in how much upset there was.

I don't want to derail any further but google dr. martin fackler and dr. gary roberts. Both were/are regarded as top ballisticians and have written a ton on how projectiles kill which virtually goes against everything a mono does. I'll still shoot monos if penetration is a serious concern but don't believe them to have some magic potion that some will lead you to believe they have. I certainly dont see the point for deer size game and theres a serious following of people shooting moose and elk w/ 5.56's now in states w/out caliber restrictions so it begs the question if a 556 can get to the vitals of NA's biggest ungulates is penetration really a problem?

It's nice to have choices and don't blame kwack for using them on moose. however core lokts have been laying things down for a long time and will likely continue for decades to come now that federal is in charge.

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:27 am

We shot a cow elk a few years back. My buddy shot it first with his 06 and lead bullet, can’t remember the exact bullet. I put a second bullet thru her with my .270 and a solid copper bullet. There was a noticeable difference. The copper punched right thru like a needle, the lead bullet left a pretty major wound channel.

I still think core lokt are ass and I don’t really see the point in using them when much better options exist. Plus cup n core bullets are gonna put more lead in the meat than copper or even a bonded bullet.

kwackkillncrew
Sour Toe Connoisseur

Sun Aug 13, 2023 2:45 pm

Well if I get lucky enough to pull the trigger and get one down I will come back with a report. With the to black tails and 2 boo I shot with the corlokts at ~200 yards they were all pass throughs and far side whole wasnt really that big. I think I missed ribs on them all. I figured I'd see a bigger hole but none of them went more then 5 yards. My buddies moose, he shot it with 160 ttsx at 150 yards and I let it take 2 steps then shot it with a corlokt and broke its shoulder just below the scapula and it dropped. Probably didnt have to take my shot but we didnt want it to take a few steps back and fall in the pond. When we got up to it his bullet got both lungs and left almost a nickle size hole on the exit. My bullet stopped on the far side between the ribs and the hide. It seems like people up here atleast have had pretty good success with the ttsx idk if it has something to do with the thicker hair and skin compared to smaller ungulates. I do have some of those green tipped Remington scioricllo bullets but haven't shot those much so not sure how they would perform through my gun. To be honest I really dont know.shit about the different types of bullets. I just tried to find a bullet that shoots straight 95% of the time. Image

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:16 pm

I roll my own ammo and generally shoot Hornady ELDX or SST. That being said I’ve never shot anything bigger than mule deer. I’ve got a friend that shoots a lot of game animals and shoots Barnes coppers exclusively. He shoots light for caliber x bullets and drives them fast.

My reloading setup
EC97689D-BFBB-40AA-8C0C-7F55FECFB9A8.jpeg
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:09 am

kwackkillncrew wrote:I do have some of those green tipped Remington scioricllo bullets but haven't shot those much so not sure how they would perform through my gun.

They had moose in mind when the scirocco was built. It's harder than a partition/accubond. If it shoots well it would be hard to top....

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”